Making a Table of Contents in FrontPage 2003

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been playing with FP 2003 for a while now and a few minutes ago I made a table of contents page just to see what it does. It created links to all the pages within my site all under a link to index.htm. When I click on that it takes me to a page that is a jumbled mess of letters, numbers and symbols. My question is, should it be like that? I am thinking no but I could be wrong since I really don't know what I am doing. Thanks in advance for the help.

{EDIT}
I am not getting any answers on this so I am a little discouraged. FP created a file index.htm and when I click on it to see what it is, it is a jumbled mess of letter, numbers and symbols. Now when I tried to make a TOC, index.html was the first link with all my other pages below it and slightly indented under index.htm. I was a little perplexed and I clicked on it and it took me to the bizarre jumbled mess of letters, numbers and symbols.

Can anyone tell me why it does this? Did I do something wrong? Or is this normal?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• LazyJim
  • Student
  • Student
  • LazyJim

Post 3+ Months Ago

never used FP sorry,
usually MS products put a load of MS-Only bit's and pieces in just cos they think it makes them look good...
...are you viewing on IE? is your IE up-to-date?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

IE, yes and it is up to date.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

can you post an example of the code it's producing? and what
are the url's pointing to from the index.htm? are they your
pages? or something else?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Basically here is how the TOC came out.

index.htm
page 1.htm
page 2.htm
page 3.htm

And it goes on for all the pages in the site. When I preview it in my browser and I click on the index.htm I get the jumbled mess I have described. I will post that when I get home. If I click on one of my page links it goes to that page. So for the most part it works except for that index.htm. I am wondering if I did something wrong. The site isn't published so I don't have a url for you to visit to see what I am talking about. Hope this helps a little.

Also, how do you get rid of the .htm. All the links in the navigation have that attached and I don't want it there. I know there is a way to do it. I did it using FP 2002 but i don't remember how.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh i see...so all the other links are ok, but index.htm shows a
goofy page of code, right?

Can you find and open that page? see what it's actually made
up of? might help to see...
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll post that when I get home tonight. I am at work right now and don't have access to it. Also, I never made a page called index.htm so I am not sure where it came from. Thanks for the help so far.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

no problem. i'm thinking the function in FP made it, but perhaps
it's just jumbled up for no reason and you can edit it to your
liking. You may just want to copy what's there for your contents table into the index so that's always the first page.

Just a suggestion...
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is what is on index.htm

GIF89aDKw!ùÿ,DK‡!!!)))!)!11!1111)9!9)999BB!B)B1B9!BB1BBBBJBJ!J)!J1J9J9!JB!JJBR1R1R9)R91RB!RJ)RJ1RJJRRBRZRZJZRBZZJcBcBcB!cJ1cR!cR!cRJcZ1cZBccRkcBkcRkkRsRsR)sR9sZsZJsc!sc1sc9sc9scZskJskJssZssc{Z!{sc{„s„R„Z9„c„c)„c9„k„k)„kB„kc„sB„sZ„sZ„sk„{1„{R„„c„„k„„{ŒZŒZ1Œc)Œc9ŒcBŒk)ŒkBŒsBŒ{BŒ{ZŒ{ZŒ„RŒŒc”sR”{Z”„Z”„k”Œ{œsœs)œs1œsBœ{Jœ{Zœ„Bœ„{œŒZœŒkœ”{œ”„œœ”œœ”¥k¥s9¥{Z¥„1¥„B¥„J¥Œ9¥ŒJ¥Œk¥Œ{¥”k¥”„¥œ„­sR­”Z­”s­œ„­œ”­­s­­”­­¥µ„9µ„Bµ„ZµŒJµ”Bµ”Jµ”Zµ”kµ”sµœ„µœŒµ¥„µ¥”µµœ½”Z½œZ½¥s½¥„½­”½­¥½½¥½½µÆŒBÆœBÆœRÆœZÆ¥sÆ¥{Æ­¥ÆµkƵsƵ”ƽµÆƵÆƽΜJÎ¥cÎ¥sÎ¥„νŒÎ½”ν¥ÖµsÖµœÖ½kÖ½„Ö½­ÖÆ”ÖÆœÖÆÆÖέÖνÖÖÆÞµZÞ½kÞ½„ÞÆsÞÆ„Þ΄ÞÖÖÞÞÖç¥9祌çÆ{çÎœçέçÎÆçÖ­çÖ½çÞÆçÞÖçïÞçï÷ïµ9ïÎsïÎœïÖ¥ïÖ½ïÞÆïÞÖïçÞïçÞïçïï÷÷÷Î{÷ÎŒ÷Ö„÷Ö”÷Ö¥÷ÖÆ÷Þ”÷Þµ÷ç­÷çÆ÷çÖ÷çÞ÷ïÆ÷ïÖ÷ïÞ÷÷ç÷÷ï÷÷÷÷÷÷ÿïÖÿïçÿ÷Þÿÿÿþÿ H° Áƒ÷éû·¡Ã‡#Bl¸oŸÄ‹3´ÈP£Ç
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Image <<< my first reaction

if you never made that page, and have no need for it, why not
change it to something useful for yourself? like a splash page
for the TOC or perhaps copy the TOC page and make the index
the same...

[as for the code...see my reation above again.]
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll try making it somehing useful. Just curious as where it came from. Thanks for your help. If I knew how to make a splash page I would but you are talking to a noob in the webdesign arena.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts