Mapquest Knockoff Site

• zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this request but I have a client that wants to create a site somewhat like Mapquest. She wants to add some additional features however. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some software or a service that she could use to achieve this. Like I said it would be just like Mapquest but with some added features. Hope I am explaining this well enough. I would go further into what she is trying to do, but she swore me to secretcy. :)
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

How is anyone going to help you with the added features if you're not allowed to tell them what they are?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with Don, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say you could use an API for Google Maps and your favorite flavor of server-side programming/scripting.
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
How is anyone going to help you with the added features if you're not allowed to tell them what they are?

LOL. I don't need help with the added features, just yet. I need help getting started with the maps. And I see your point. But the client thinks she has this really great idea and doesn't want anyone to steal it. I know this sounds silly but a promise is a promise.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Search google for street map software or something similar.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:

And never promise something you don't have the capacity to deliver. I'm sorry, I seriously had to laugh when I read this post.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

What promisses?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
What promisses?

Not you. The OP
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, ok. I get it now. You are correct.
  • zaiah
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • zaiah

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Don2007 wrote:

And never promise something you don't have the capacity to deliver. I'm sorry, I seriously had to laugh when I read this post.

No I promised I wouldn't tell anyone the "entire" idea. I guess I need to talk in complete sentences. javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very HappyYeah I learned my lesson on that with the very first site I built. It was only 3 pages, all frames and like 800 words of text and it took me like 16 hours. Sitting there with a Dreamweaver and Fireworks book on my lap. Then the client, an actual co-worker tried to stiff me for the $400 she had promised to pay me. She said although she liked the site, "legally" she had up to 60 days to pay me before I could shut it down. Well Thanks guys for the help! :D
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If someone told me that I would have called them to ask for my money which may not sound strange but I would have called at 2AM.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts