Message Boards?

  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2297
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi all,
a little question which everyone could help with. i have a MySql database ready for a message board. now i know there are different types, i have used PhpBB2 before.
i need to know which is the best considering
    ease of use,
    stablity,
    reliability,
    features.

i know there is the "invision power board" and "vbulletin" (something like thoses, i haven't reaserched) which is knows as the best and which would you suggest?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6376
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

nothing wrong with phpBB compared to the bigger named ones. and
besides, it's FREE! :P
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 23456
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I searched for over three years to find a really good message board script. Since discovering phpBB, I ended my search. I'm not even going to try to find another, although I do have an ASP version that is based on it. I can't use it though, because I don't have the capability of using a SQL database where I want to use it. That's the only other one I would consider because it's essentially a mirror of this one.

I do like the looks of this one though:
http://www.12noon.net/forum/index.php?act=idx

I didn't look closely enough to see what he/she was using, but you could probably PM CasTiger and ask him/her what was used:
http://www.ozzu.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=667
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 4581
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah its phpBB all the way! I've set up atleast three forums with it and it was beautifully easy each time.
  • altyfc
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 35

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with phpBB although some would argue for vBulletin so you might like to look at that one also.

Aaron
  • sirgamesalot
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • sirgamesalot
  • Posts: 12
  • Loc: london ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say invision, but php is also good.

Vbulletin if you have the money.
  • Kasracer
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Kasracer
  • Posts: 26
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

phpBB sucks.

Seriously, Invision Power Board has as many, if not, more features than vBull and it definatly has WAY more features than phpBB. It is alot easier to setup and maintain.

It even has the ability to convert phpBB and vBull to IPB when setting it up.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6376
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

you say a lot about this other one, and a lot of bad things about phpbb.

why is that? does ozzu not function well on phpbb? what options does
the other one have, phpbb doesn't, and ozzu needs??

a link would be nice as well.
  • Kasracer
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Kasracer
  • Posts: 26
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

UNFLUX wrote:
you say a lot about this other one, and a lot of bad things about phpbb.

why is that?
Because my forum used to be phpBB, and it sucked ass compared to IPB.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6376
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, just because your experience with it was bad, doesn't mean
everyone's is going to be. And you coming here and bashing the board
we use isn't productive, nor is it very mature.

I asked for a reason, not "cuz it sucked." I also asked you for a link, and
reasons why we should switch, however you ignored those requests.

I want to know why we should change the forum, when clearly it's
successful as it is.
  • Kasracer
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Kasracer
  • Posts: 26
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

UNFLUX wrote:
well, just because your experience with it was bad, doesn't mean
everyone's is going to be. And you coming here and bashing the board
we use isn't productive, nor is it very mature.
My post was for the poster to use IPB, not to get this forum to change over, though it would be nice, especially since the skins used here are buggy and annoying.

I wasn't bashing your forums directly, I was saying how much better IPB is than phpBB so the user doesn't have to switch over later.
UNFLUX wrote:
I asked for a reason, not "cuz it sucked." I also asked you for a link, and
reasons why we should switch, however you ignored those requests.
Why do you need "a link"? Don't know how to use google? http://www.google.com/search?q=invision ... 8&oe=utf-8

I also don't see why I should give you reasons to switch over. Most of the things are behind the scenes so it wouldn't affect me either way. Plus I just joined this forum last night because some moron on aim told me he owned this forum, then later said he knew the person who ran it. I just said whatever and joined cause I noticed some questions I could help with.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1402
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't say as I have experienced any bugs in the skin used here :-\

And I believe Unflux meant links to back up that IPB is "better" than phpBB, not just a google search for IPB. You are the one claiming it is better, so you are the one that should prove it, he shouldn't have to muddle out the information on his own because you say it's better. If you are going to completely dismiss phpBB, i'm sure the person who originally asked the question wants to know why other than "i had some problems". What kind of problems?

Last but not least, there is no contract upon registration, if you only signed up because some "moron" wanted you to, and you don't like it here, feel free to leave.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 4581
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello class! Today's topic is constructive criticism. Constructive criticism does not include things like "it sucks ass". Constructive criticism includes saying you disagree with something, and then give POLITE suggestions on what could be changed. One does not bash if he offers constructive criticism, and one will not get bashed in return.






Quote:
I also don't see why I should give you reasons to switch over. Most of the things are behind the scenes so it wouldn't affect me either way. Plus I just joined this forum last night because some moron on aim told me he owned this forum, then later said he knew the person who ran it. I just said whatever and joined cause I noticed some questions I could help with.


We are all web designers to some extent here, I believe we are capable of understand what goes on behind the scenes. You say that it has WAY more features then phpBB, how about some examples of these features?

And expanding on lostinbeta, who listens to morons? ....morons?
  • Kasracer
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Kasracer
  • Posts: 26
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

lostinbeta wrote:
And I believe Unflux meant links to back up that IPB is "better" than phpBB, not just a google search for IPB. You are the one claiming it is better, so you are the one that should prove it, he shouldn't have to muddle out the information on his own because you say it's better. If you are going to completely dismiss phpBB, i'm sure the person who originally asked the question wants to know why other than "i had some problems". What kind of problems?
Why do I have to? All you have to do is go to their page and look at the information. It isn't hard to do. I don't see why I have to list the pages and pages of differences just so I back up what I said. All you have to do is put a little effort into it and check it out.

I also never said "I had some problems" with phpBB. I said I have issues with the skins here, and Unflux knows about them already.
b_heyer wrote:
Hello class! Today's topic is constructive criticism. Constructive criticism does not include things like "it sucks ass". Constructive criticism includes saying you disagree with something, and then give POLITE suggestions on what could be changed. One does not bash if he offers constructive criticism, and one will not get bashed in return.
Or you can realize this is the internet and not everything posted on the internet is serious or even matters.
b_heyer wrote:
We are all web designers to some extent here, I believe we are capable of understand what goes on behind the scenes. You say that it has WAY more features then phpBB, how about some examples of these features?
Never said you weren't capable of understanding the "behind the scenes" of IPB. I just said most of the things to users is invisable.

Again, you are capable of checking out IPB yourself. I don't feel I should list the pages of differences/features just to prove a point on the internet when it doesn't even matter.
b_heyer wrote:
And expanding on lostinbeta, who listens to morons? ....morons?
Must be why you're here :roll:

If you people would take some initiative and look on IPB's website, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 4581
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nah we would still be having this discussion because you blatently criticized phpBB without giving any real reasons, there for you would still look like the moron that sent you here.

And by the way, google led me here, so if google is a moron we are all going to die.
  • Kasracer
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Kasracer
  • Posts: 26
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer wrote:
And by the way, google led me here, so if google is a moron we are all going to die.
Google > *
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6376
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are that hung up on IPB, then PM Bigwebmaster about it, and
leave the boards to helping people, not bullheading you own personal
agenda and opinions. Your exit wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit.

Furthermore, your inference that I'm stupid is uncalled for. I have big
shoulders so I can take it. But if you turn this on to any other member,
you'll be banned -- period.

If you're truly here to help (and from some of your other posts I see you
probably can), then cut the crap and do so. If you can't take the fact
that your opinions may be disagreed upon, then you have no place here.
  • Marcus
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 35
  • Loc: NYC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can invision handle a forum with 20,000 users or does it crap out due to the fact its all cgi based?
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6376
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

Marcus - Kasracer was banned for his bad attitude and poor
representation of information. We can let this thread die.
  • Marcus
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 35
  • Loc: NYC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would really and genuinely like to know if going with invision is a bad idea or not. If a forum reaches the level of lets say webhostingtalk.com would it crash on invision? I need to know because I setup webhostforum.org and I hope to build it up to the level of webhostingalk.com in 5-7 years, but dont want to invest all that effort if things will collapse down the road.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1402
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

PHP is more reliable than CGI when it comes to high server load.

So... Invision board may or may not crash, not sure... but if it doesn't chances are it will go extremely slow if too many people are active at once.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 774
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

i use invision on a few of my sites and it does not use CGI, it's PHP all the way. I do not like phpBB when using the default skin because the developers have overdone the eye candy. However, that's not a problemon this site because you have changed the skin.

I am a participant on a forum that uses ikonboard, a CGI/perl based solution, and it is fairly heavily trafficed and it perofrms really well under the load. I am told that Ikonboard is fairly resource intensive, so i am not going to use it on my site (not even on the one about perl programming). Instead I'll just rename all the PHP files to CGI and put
Code: [ Select ]
#!/usr/bin/php
at the top

back to Invision board, i know of a few sites with fairly heavy loads that use it. None of them are at 20,000 members yet but they're still fairly big.

--edit--
the other thing that really annoyes me about phpbb is the order of the preview and submit buttons. I know this is being really picky but it just plain annoys me. It doesn't seem right to have preview before submit.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1402
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjstephens wrote:
--edit--
the other thing that really annoyes me about phpbb is the order of the preview and submit buttons. I know this is being really picky but it just plain annoys me. It doesn't seem right to have preview before submit.


ROFL, you know you can change that right ;)
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 6376
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

doesn't make sense....to have....preview....BEFORE submit...

hmm...am I missing something in that concept?? ;)
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2297
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

:rofl:

:roll:

yea, makes sense to me as well, erm.....u backwards m8? :wink:
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 774
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

i know this thread has been gone for ages but I have to respond to those comments

How many of YOU preview before you submit your post?? Hell, how many of you "preview" before you do anything?? Maybe it does make sense to preview something BEFORE you submit it, but in the real world people don't care if things look exactly the way they wanted them to (well at least not on forums). They just want to say what they have to say and get out of there, so they can go do something else.

@lostinbeta:
how do I cahnge it?
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 2297
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

you would have to edit your phpBB2 template....
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 774
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I assume that, I need either admin or FTP access to do that. If not, how do I do it?
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 4581
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjstephens wrote:
i know this thread has been gone for ages but I have to respond to those comments

How many of YOU preview before you submit your post?? Hell, how many of you "preview" before you do anything?? Maybe it does make sense to preview something BEFORE you submit it, but in the real world people don't care if things look exactly the way they wanted them to (well at least not on forums). They just want to say what they have to say and get out of there, so they can go do something else.


You are so incredible wrong it isn't even funny. Well actually it is, because I laughed so hard when I read your post. I reread my posts that have any sort of length to make sure the make sense. Otherwise I'd come off as an idiot. People in the real world actually DO care how things look. That is called professionalism, incase you haven't been exposed to it yet. That is why there IS a preview button; so people can SEE exactly what their post will look like, and make sure it is how they want it. You are a fool to think people do not care. If people make posts without thinking (needless to say many do) they do come off as raving idiots. Wit posts dat sond like this 4 no rzn @ all but 2 jus get da job done fast. It is sad the self respect people lose when they don't preview what they write. That is why the button is there.

*this post was previewed twice*
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 774
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok i give up. you win. I still think that the submit button should be before the preview button, though, at least as far as the taborder is concerned.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 30 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 32 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
cron
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.