Mobile Phones and Paypal

• wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I currently have a website with a paypal "buy now" button.
If someone wants to buy my product he presses the button and is sent to the paypal website to make payment. When payment is made paypal sends customer the download page so that they can download the product.

With the increase in mobile phone useage, I have created a mobile friendly website. I have tested it with mobile phone emulators and it works good.

The problem I have is that I am not sure how to implement the paypal button for mobile phone uses.

For my current website, accessed by computers with large screens, the customer can view all the info at the paypal site.

With mobile phone users, who have a small screen, they cannot really view the same webpage at paypal so I assume that they are probably also sent to a mobile friendly paypal webpage.

I tried using the same paypal button for my mobile friendly website, but it does not show up when I use the emulator. I do not know if this is just an emulator issue, I used the one at dotMOBI, or because the paypal button uses HTML code which is not recognized somehow maybe.

Has anyone used a paypal button for mobile devices?

Maybe I am missing some knowledge I should have and would appreciate some guidance from any forum member to help me with this issue.

Thanks in advance
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is this of any help ?
https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=developer/howto_api_mobile_checkout
  • wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply

I did read that but it looks like it is geared for a developer.

On my regular website, the only thing I had to do was create a button which was not that hard since paypal did most of the work.

For mobile payments, it does not seem to be as simple. It looks like I need to develp my own API?

I am hoping someone has done this already and could perhaps guide me through the steps for developing the API if it is indeed needed. I do not think I can do it by myself.

Thanks
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

did you try simply putting the paypal button on your mobile site? It should work just fine in that format. The only reason you would need the API is if you building a specialized app, installed or web that needs to modify the way the information is sent.
  • wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the reply

Assuming, the buy now button works, will the mobile be sent to the normal paypal website or will paypal direct it to a mobile friendly site.

I am not sure if the normal site can be all seen on the mobile device small screen
  • wpas
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got a response form Paypal and they say the following:

PayPal standard buttons are only available through html based browsers and would not work through mobile applications that do not support the html programming. You would want to integrate this option using PayPal Mobile. Information on this can be found through the following page in the Mobile Payments Library Developer Guides:
https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?&cmd ... umentation

Since I am not a developer this could be a bit difficult.

I was hoping for a simple copy and paste button for mobiles but it looks like this is not the case

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts