Modifying Navigation Bar

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I created a navigation bar using FP 2003. All the links have .htm added at the end. How can I remove that? Basically instead of the link saying Home.htm I want it to just say Home. I know it can be done because I did it playing around with FP 2002 a while back. Thanks in advance.
  • allgoodpeople
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: here

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, i'm entirely sure what sort of problem you're referring to. Do you mean the text that displays the link has the .htm extension, or the actuall <href> tag in the HTML has a .htm extension? Post a link to your page, I'll check it out and see if I can help you.

Mark
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The page is not published yet. Still in the design phase. When I preview the site in my browser all the links withing the navigation have .htm at the end. I want this to go away. Does that clear it up a bit for you?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

You'll probably be wanting to keep that .htm or .html extension on the links if they're actually linking to HTML files. Some web servers will either just send it down as plain text if it doesn't have the .htm/html extension, or simply send it to your browser as a download.

Anyways, to edit the links, just click the "HTML" tab (at least that's what it's called in FP2000), and edit the code.
  • allgoodpeople
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
The page is not published yet. Still in the design phase. When I preview the site in my browser all the links withing the navigation have .htm at the end. I want this to go away. Does that clear it up a bit for you?

No, not really, but i think i know what you mean :lol:

so, your links in your actual html document look like this:

Code: [ Select ]
<a href="http://www.mypage.htm">http://www.mypage.htm</a>

That's what I'm envisioning from your description (I'm kind of a visual thinker, sorry). If so, just edit the text between the > and < to whatever you want it to be. So your new link would look like this

Code: [ Select ]
<a href="http://www.mypage.htm">New text link of your choice</a>

Of course, this is all assuming I correctly understood your issue.

Mark
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let me give you a visual. I don't know code but I think I could manage what you described. Here is an artists conception of my navigation bar:

Home.htm
Page 1.htm
Page 2.htm
Page 3.htm

I want it to look like this:
Home
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3

I hope that helps. I remember in FP 2002 there was a check box I checked or something and it took it away. I tried finding it in FP2003 but couldn't find it. Of course I may be over looking something or they renamed it to something else. Anyways, thanks for the help so far.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just edit the text, just go to the end of the text, and you see that lil "Backspace" key on your keyboard? Go ahead and press it a coupla times, see what happens :)
  • allgoodpeople
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
Just edit the text, just go to the end of the text, and you see that lil "Backspace" key on your keyboard? Go ahead and press it a coupla times, see what happens :)

Yeah, i agree. You should be able to go into the "normal" pane in frontpage and simply edit the text to whatever you want it to be. This won't change where the link points to, it will just change the text being used for the link

The method i showed you above will do the same thing, but will require you going in to the html pane in frontpage, finding the correct line of code, and changing it. It's really not hard at all, and can be a good learning experience if you've never gotten into the guts of your page to do it. The hardest part is finding the correct part of your page to edit.

Mark
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I figured it out. Thanks for all the help.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts