Most effective website design

• StickerAA
  • Born
  • Born
  • StickerAA
  • Loc: Powell River, British Columbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I am wondering what the most effective design format would be? The last time I designed a website was when frames were brand new circa 1991.

Today. :lol: we have flash, css, etc.. I still think old school - tables and cells via html with notepad <grin>.

So, in order to be compatable with the all browser types which method is preferable.. old school - table/cells or css?

Thanks to everyone

Sticker
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually tables/cells are effected by CSS, you really can't pit them against eachother.
It's like asking if a bowl or the paint that colors the bowl is better, it just doesn't make sense.

Now, getting past misunderstandings here, sticking with table based layouts really only displays a lack of understanding for what's possible with [X]HTML.
It's like building an entire house out of kitchen cabinets, possible, but there's better materials available for each part of the house.
  • jameson5555
  • Bronze Robot
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd say if you're jumping back into web design a good thing to focus on is keeping as much of your style in an external CSS file as possible- including your style for the layout.

Aside from that, validate all your code with W3C and that will help make sure everything stays nice and cross-browser compatible.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know about everybody else, but I like CSS rather than a table based layout... and I like PHP includes over frames.
  • StickerAA
  • Born
  • Born
  • StickerAA
  • Loc: Powell River, British Columbia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you for your replies. As I dabble with the art of website design I have come to really enjoy "external style sheets". I find the learning curve very slight as they allow me to call upon programming "nesting" principles. Precision layout seems easier. Yes, Jameson I recognize the value of "validation". I validated my web pages a few days ago and realized that they were a mess - anywhere from 10 to 80 errors. The biggest culprits were my table based designs. My CSS designs all passed... hmmmm..
  • tbx_3001
  • Born
  • Born
  • tbx_3001

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would use CSS or they call it web 2.0
  • tbx_3001
  • Born
  • Born
  • tbx_3001

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, also I would stay away with frames and iframes if I can. B/c they are not so good for search engines..
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

tbx_3001 wrote:
I would use CSS or they call it web 2.0

Last time I checked, CSS is not synonymous with 'Web 2.0'.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts