Mozilla on Mac

• rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Code: [ Select ]
.code {
    font-family: 'Courier New', Courier, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; color: #BCBCBC;
    background-color: #161616; border: #BCBCBC; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px;
}
  1. .code {
  2.     font-family: 'Courier New', Courier, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; color: #BCBCBC;
  3.     background-color: #161616; border: #BCBCBC; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px;
  4. }

I'm not sure why, but the color attribute doesn't work for the .code class. I can't see any posted code samples. It does work, however, for the .quote class.

.quote {
    font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; color: #BCBCBC; line-height: 125%;
    background-color: #161616; border: #BCBCBC; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px;
}
  1. .quote {
  2.     font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; color: #BCBCBC; line-height: 125%;
  3.     background-color: #161616; border: #BCBCBC; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px;
  4. }
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Moving this to the design forum.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Interesting problem. I wonder if it has something to do with the single quotes around the font.

Don't really know.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

aaargh -- I can't believe I missed that. Good eye, dM. You're probably spot on. I've never seen apostraphes in CSS re: fonts like that.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Apostrophes are required for multi-word font names and optional for single. If the font itself is not on the client, it will be substituted. I can copy-paste the text, but it is black on black. This is an odd one eh?

I'll be less lazy tomorrow and do some testing. Well, if I manage to solve that DHCP problem (Windows is just not my thing).

http://www.ozzu.com/mswindows-forum/dhcp-service-unavailable-t21390.html
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjmthezonenet wrote:
Apostraphes are required for multi-word font names and optional for single.

Sorry, rjmthezonenet, but I have never once ever used an apostraphe on a font in a style sheet. Quotation marks, yes. Apostrophies no.

Example:

H1.title {
    color : #990000;
    font-family : "MS Serif", "New York", serif;
    font-size : 24px;
    font-weight : 600;
}
  1. H1.title {
  2.     color : #990000;
  3.     font-family : "MS Serif", "New York", serif;
  4.     font-size : 24px;
  5.     font-weight : 600;
  6. }
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll be interested to see if you can resolve this rjmthezonenet.

I do believe quotes are required to preserve the spaces in font family names. I've never seen single quotes either, though. Of course, I'm often wrong when talking off the cuff. Even if the syntax is legal, it could still be an interpretive problem of some sort in that particular browser.

Of course all this talk of font families shouldn't effect the color anyway. Image

...unless it was disrupting the remainder of that selector's definition.

Please do let us know if you resolve this. I'm sure your DHCP problem is more pressing though.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

off-topic - yeah --I've been looking at that dhcp thing, too, but can't figure it out either.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

dM wrote:
...unless it was disrupting the remainder of that selector's definition.

That's not a bad guess. The CSS standard even mentions that such a disruption is required...

CSS2.1 Standard wrote:
A user agent must ignore [p. 46] a declaration with an invalid property name or an invalid value.

...but, it appears that the declaration is valid...

CSS2.1 Standard wrote:
Strings can either be written with double quotes or with single quotes.

...then again, Mozilla for Mac OS X may be broken.

I will test this sometime this afternoon.

Cheers

P.S. DHCP fixed itself. This is the second time this problem turned up and went away; just on my machine. Dark clouds on the horizon.
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.angelfire.com/linux/choice/ozzu.html

I did some more testing with strict and loose DTDs mixed with various style sheets. Check out the link for 8 variations.

The only style sheet that worked was without the quoted multi-word font name. This included single and double work quoting.

It could be a corrupt "Courier New" font on my computer. Do you know someone with a Mac and Mozilla who can test this?
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Solved (and shame on me).

I had a collection of True Type fonts stored in my home directory in a folder called fonts. Almost forgot this was a UNIX system... 1. True Type fonts are not supported (that I knew), and 2. the system was attempting to use the fonts I had saved (that I didn't).

http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn2024.html wrote:
~/Library/Fonts (User)

The User domain is specific to the user who is logged into the system and is associated with the user's home directory, which can either be on the boot volume or on the network. The user has complete control over the contents of this domain.

/Library/Fonts (Local)

The Local domain is for fonts shared among all users of a particular computer and not required by the operating system to run. Users with system administrator privileges can add, remove, and modify items in this domain, which is also the recommended location for fonts that are shared among applications.

/Network/Library/Fonts (Network)

The Network domain is for fonts shared among all users of a local area network. The contents of this domain are typically located on network file servers and are under the control of a network administrator.

/System/Library/Fonts (System)

The System domain contains the default fonts required by the operating system to run and should not be altered.

[Classic System Folder]/Fonts (Classic)

The Fonts folder of the user's preferred Classic System folder is the domain with the lowest precedence of all the font directories and is registered with the operating system even when the Classic compatibility environment is not running. Note that for applications running in the Classic compatibility environment the inverse is not true, and none of the other domains besides the Fonts folder in the Classic System folder are available.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good deal rjmthezonenet. I'm so impressed with your thoroughness in troubleshooting this. Very impressive.

The only thing I'm still confused about, and maybe I'll discover it when I re-read this information(tired and distracted at present), is why it didn't skip the first font cited and, if nothing else, present the generic "sans-serif" citing.

Again, very impressive work.
:thumbsup:
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
The only thing I'm still confused about, and maybe I'll discover it when I re-read this information(tired and distracted at present), is why it didn't skip the first font cited and, if nothing else, present the generic "sans-serif" citing.

font-family: 'Courier New', Courier, sans-serif;

The User-agent will attempt to use "Courier New" or, if that's not available, use "Courier" or, if that's not available use a built-in sans-serif font.

In my case, a "Courier New" font was found that happened to be a Windows TrueType font (useless to a Mac). Everything went downhill from there.

It had nothing to do with quotes... just the "Courier New" font my system shouldn't have been using.

It just so happens a "Courier" font is on my machine, so the test declaration without "Courier New" worked fine.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

right, i understood all of that upon re-reading. sorry to make you type all of that.

:oops:
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

no sweat :-)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts