MSIE is showing a different version of my site than Firefox

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess I'm back at web development... just on a different topic :lol:

Anyway, I created a design, but MSIE is showing a different version of my site than Firefox. Firefox's version is what I want it to be.

You can see the design here.

P.S: I'm not happy with that design... my other problem is that that design is missing something... It looks a bit too plain, and I can't seem to find out what it's missing.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What exactly is different? It looks the same to me in Chrome, IE8, and IE9 beta.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Really? The right column is on the right side, but under the left column...

I see the problem... I'm using MSIE7 lol
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Should I try and fix it for MSIE7? Also, could someone tell me, or help me as to what could be missing in that design? Like give me a review on it?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, I don't actually have an answer for you on what is going wrong ... To help you out, do the following ... DOwnload IE8 ... In IE8 you can still view the website as it would have looked in IE7 ... then also, you have access to "Developer Tools" (By pressing F12) ... it's similar to Firebug, just for IE ... maybe not quite as powerfull though ... But that should help ...
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't IE8 get pushed out to XP users as an automatic update?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know... I don't have MSIE8 for some reason. I also can't find the download link for MSIE8
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/intern ... sites.aspx
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks
  • sixthsense
  • sixthsense
  • Loc: Belgium

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try to get it valid first?

There are some errors I was planning to post the URLs but since some how I can not post URLs just Google: W3 validator and Css validator.

Pff :evil:
  • StepWill
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • StepWill

Post 3+ Months Ago

try ie9 beta, it complains with w3c estandards, and it's better than ie8, faster and more secure.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

StepWill wrote:
try ie9 beta, it complains with w3c estandards, and it's better than ie8, faster and more secure.

IE9 is only available for Windows 7. Many developers and customers are still running XP; you can't just toss the majority of a user base like that.
  • StepWill
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • StepWill

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, that's true, but why stick to xp? when windows 7 is better, and it runs windows xp software. But at least web developers and software developers i know have windows 7 because in most of the companies have enterprise programs and discounts from MS.

Also where i work we have action pack, and it's really nice, we have almost all MS Software.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Many companies have custom software written specifically for XP, and the time-cost commitment to upgrade is very high. Migrating a decent size company from XP to 7 is not a small task. Not to mention the cost of licensing, training, and productivity thrashing needs to be taken into account.
  • StepWill
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • StepWill

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Many companies have custom software written specifically for XP, and the time-cost commitment to upgrade is very high. Migrating a decent size company from XP to 7 is not a small task. Not to mention the cost of licensing, training, and productivity thrashing needs to be taken into account.

I'm not saying it's easy and effortless, but, i'm saying staying to xp is not the option. You need to adapt and if there are better tools use them. Will you continue to use windows 2000 nowadays just because you have custom software developed for it, also you can have it for win xp, or win 7 developed also. It's time consuming and it does cost a lot but it's better to have that upgrade, than never have it. It can be time consuming but not impossible. :p Take care!
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

StepWill wrote:
I'm not saying it's easy and effortless, but, i'm saying staying to xp is not the option.

Its easy to say when you aren't the IT manager who has to go to your boss and ask for several million dollars to upgrade the whole company. I'm not saying I like this situation at all but I also understand why so many fortune 500 companies are in this boat.

On the upside now that Google Chrome Frame is out of beta, we might be able to convince people to go that route.
  • StepWill
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • StepWill

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
On the upside now that Google Chrome Frame is out of beta, we might be able to convince people to go that route.

Well, if you know, IE9 beta, has all that features you say, that google chrome frame enables, just give it a try, it's not perfect though is beta. But it's really nice. It isn't available for XP, just for Vista and W7.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google Chrome Frame is intended for enterprise systems using older versions of IE (Most all fortune 500 companies) who won't be upgrading to an OS that will support IE9 anytime soon.

Yes you could easily upgrade most hardware made in the last two years, but most companies are running machines upwards of 10 years old. You have to replace the hardware to run win7 on those. How much do you think it would cost to upgrade somewhere in the range of 20,000 6 to 8 year old computers to be able to run IE9?

Even if you get a dirt cheap computer with win7 its going to cost in the range of $400 + upgraded software + monitor so lets say a new computer for 20,000 employees will cost $700 each 20k * 700 = $14,000,000 (not pocket change for any company). Yes the upgrades will happen over time but we'll still have to support IE6/7 for a long time.

The problem isn't the average user. I have personally used IE9 beta and I admit its decent but you have to develop sites for your audience and as long as that audience is people who work at a large company old IE still figures into the mix.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts