Navigation help...

• Alan Lastufka
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: ChicagoLand, IL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not sure which forum this belongs in so feel free to move away mods...

I need a free (or INCREDIBLY cheap way to reproduce this navigation system...

http://www.thebrain.com

or something close to it, they want a year's salary for the code (my salary anyway) and it just isn't worth all that.

If anyone knows of a comprable code, BTW It only needs to go down I hierarchy level, not as many as this one, just *one*... it will be structured like this...

H--------->Page 1
O--------->Page 2
M--------->Page 3
E--------->Page 4
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess this needs to be in Web Design, but could go toward Flash or Scripting.

Anyway....
;)

//moved
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's actually Java -- and looks custom designed. I'd take a look at their terms of use and copyright stuff -- it appears they are pretty stringent. I seriously doubt you'll find a similar navigation easily on the net. And most definately not for free or cheap. You could probably check out the class files if you have a java compiler, but not sure how much help that would be. Might want to drop them an email and see what they have to say about using it and how much. My guess is they could custom design you one, but I doubt it would be cheap.
  • Alan Lastufka
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: ChicagoLand, IL, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks ATNO/TW, already did that, like I said in my first post, they want a year's salary.

What I'm looking for doesn't have to be exactly the same, and no where near as in depth, just one level and the same basic function (where your main page moves into the center but the other pages move off and are still clickable...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, the alternative solutions would be Flash or DHTML -- or any equivalents. Especially if you wanted to include animation like they did.

My personal DHTML favorite has always been
http://www.htmlguru.com/

They're actually transitioning to the new version. You should also follow the instructions and click the link to see what the archived copy used to look like. You'd think you were looking at a Flash page, but you're not.
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

check out http://www.ultrashock.com in >fla source files>navigation.

you will find a whole heap of navigational systems similar to this.
and best of all free to use!!! although you will need flash experience to customise ;-)
  • Nunzio390
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Tharsis Ridge (Martian lowlands)

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO...

LOL!! Ya know, I went to http://www.htmlguru.com/ to take a peek at the DHTML navigation used there, and to follow the instructions and click the link to see what the archived copy used to look like, as you had said. I am always interested in new and innovative DHTML scripting. But when I arrived at the site I saw nothing at all except for background imagry and said to myself, "Self... what the heck is ATNO talking about?". It was then that I tried the page in IE browser instead of Mozilla Firefox (my browser of choice), and then also tried other browsers as well. I determined that the navigation was pretty much useless in any other browser other than IE.

Here are results in different browsers....

IE browser...

Works beautifully. Quick navigation, sharp presentation.

Mozilla Firefox (my browser of choice):

No navigation at all. Just shows background imagry.
See this screenshot.

Netscape browser:

Worked, but VERY sluggishly. Eventually, Netscape crashed. Kept crashing each time I revisited that site. Useless IMHO.

Opera browser:

No display at all. Only shows a blank white redirect page with this info...

Quote:
Web Browser Support

Sorry but this page cannot be displayed in your browser. This site uses the full feature set of Dynamic HTML as supported and tested in the following browsers and operating systems:

Windows 9x/NT/ME/2K/XP and Macintosh OS 9.x/10.x
Netscape 4.x ~ 6.x and Mozilla 0.9x
Internet Explorer 4.x ~ 5.x ~ 6.x
RE: Opera - Although Opera is applauded for supporting standards based initiatives, it however doesn't yet support important core Dynamic HTML methods. Full Support for this browser will occur automatically when a broader set of DHTML methods are implemented.
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

The new site worked fine for me in Firefox 0.8 and Moz 1.6, although the old site gave me a "not supported" message for anything other than IE. I haven't gotten around to reinstalling a new version of Netscape since doing the windows reinstallation dance.

screenshot
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Odd. Worked fine for me in Firefox .8 and Netscape 7.1 (the new page). I was aware the old page only worked in IE, but wasn't thinking about it when I posted. I absolutely love Jeff's message there though:

Quote:
Currently this site uses DHTML as implemented in Netscape 4.x and Explorer 4/5.x under the Windows platform. The next version of this site is being built upon full DOM, HTML, CSS and XML standards set forth by the W3 and fully implemented by the Mozilla project and hopefully be supported by all platforms. Stay tuned for the next version coming soon, it will be an experience!
Jeff Rouyer
  • Nunzio390
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is really weird. I'm using Firefox .08 too, and the page located at http://www.htmlguru.com/index.html displays no navigational links at all and only displays what is shown in this screenshot.

Yet both you and RichB say that the navigation on that page displays and works in Firefox 0.8. Very strange.

To troubleshoot I performed these steps:

I tried using just the Firefox (default) theme and no other theme (my screenshot shows the Bluestreak theme)

I disabled the only 3 extensions that I use in Firefox:

Clone Window 0.2.1
Web Developer 0.7
mozex 1.07

Are both of you using a clean installation of Firefox? Eg: No upgrade from Firebird and no added extensions?

Hmmmm. Although I don't want to, I may need to completely uninstall Firefox and reinstall. I can't understand why the navigation works for you guys and not for me.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just type in htmlguru.com into the address bar and it works fine. I didn't add anything to either, just the straight-up basic downloads.

Screenshot here:
http://atnopro.com/ozzu/htmlguru.jpg
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm using a clean install of Firefox 0.8 with the GrayModern theme and no extensions. I just did a complete format and reinstall of windows, so it's as clean as a whistle.
  • Nunzio390
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK. Just uninstalled Firefox. Then removed the Phoenix folder (but saved bookmarks.html first) located at C:\Documents and Settings\default\Application Data\Phoenix

This forced the new installation of Firefox to create a new (clean) profile (couldn't find Phoenix folder and recreated it). No extensions. No themes other than the default. I had no saved bookmarks of course at that time. I then copied my saved bookmarks (bookmarks.html) that were saved from my old profile into the new.

Still no go with that htmlguru site. Same results. But I won't worry. It's probably the only site on the net I'll ever have trouble with. :)

Going to reinstall my extensions and themes now.

Thanks for the responses, guys! :thumbsup:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts