navigation

• snowgoose
  • snowgoose

Post 3+ Months Ago

im slowly starting to design my website and was wondering if top or side navigation works best, its for a software related site,

also is it possible to add the sites logo/banner and navigation into the sites CSS so all pages look the same and all i have to do is edit the content?

Jake
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The navigation works best where it would look best and easy for navigation at the layout you are going to use for your site.

A navigation at the top means that you have more space for your content down below and have various ways for your content to be organized.

A navigation at the LEFT works best if you are going to have other things than a navigation and maybe some ads than you will have a little less space for your content but it's still good.

Or you can mix it up and have navigation at the top and other stuff at the side(s) left or right. Mostly, people read from left to right and it's best to have the navigation starting at the left site either on top or on the side. If it's on the side, than its best to have it on the LEFT side, and if it's on the top it's best for the navigation to start on the left side of the navigation bar.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

snowgoose wrote:
im slowly starting to design my website and was wondering if top or side navigation works best, its for a software related site,

also is it possible to add the sites logo/banner and navigation into the sites CSS so all pages look the same and all i have to do is edit the content?

Jake

I myself am a fan of top side navigation ... I just like it more than left hand side nav's ... but that's just my opinion ...

Code for adding the logo in all the pages:
CSS:
Code: [ Select ]
div.heading
{
width:980px;
height:250px;
min-height:250px;
background-image:url('images/yourimage.gif');
padding:0px;
margin:0px;
}
  1. div.heading
  2. {
  3. width:980px;
  4. height:250px;
  5. min-height:250px;
  6. background-image:url('images/yourimage.gif');
  7. padding:0px;
  8. margin:0px;
  9. }

(X)HTML
Code: [ Select ]
<div class='heading'></div>

And to insert the menu onto all the pages, see PHP Include
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should decide on your layout based on your content and your strategy for information delivery. A horizontal menu works great if you have 5 to 8 permanent and static links. If, however, you have more links or your menu need to expand to sub-links or you want to leave room for expansion, a vertical menu is going to be a better solution.

Before you start doing layouts, you should collect, organize and structure your content as if it was a document on white paper with black text. Once you're able to see how the content is structured logically, you'll be able to see how the layout will work best. One of the biggest mistakes you can make in the design phase is to create a visual first then force your content to conform to that, IMO.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts