Need Advice Starting Up An Online Shop. Please Help!

• Steve[D]
  • Steve[D]

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

My friend and I are thinking about starting up a small online shoe shop, but Im not sure how to go about it!

Web design is only a hobby of mine and have knowledge of HTML, Flash, ActionScript, CSS and some JavaScript, but Im guessing you need to know PHP for databasing? Or can you just use templates/software which make it easy to add new items, and have shopping basket plus checkout functions? Are there any you would recommend, and which UK webhost has the best e-commerce package? If I were to use a template would I still be able to fully customise the look of the site?

Additionally, does anyone know about registering a business in the United Kingdom? Is this mandatory for online shops? Could we get tax relief on things we need to buy e.g. laser printer for labels etc?

Many Thanks, Steve. :)
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know about the UK but in the US, you're better off not registering anything. You'll get taxed, not tax relief. I'm sure it's the same there too.
  • tastysite
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Brighouse, West Yorkshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Steve[D] wrote:
Hi,

My friend and I are thinking about starting up a small online shoe shop, but Im not sure how to go about it!

Web design is only a hobby of mine and have knowledge of HTML, Flash, ActionScript, CSS and some JavaScript, but Im guessing you need to know PHP for databasing? Or can you just use templates/software which make it easy to add new items, and have shopping basket plus checkout functions? Are there any you would recommend, and which UK webhost has the best e-commerce package? If I were to use a template would I still be able to fully customise the look of the site?

Additionally, does anyone know about registering a business in the United Kingdom? Is this mandatory for online shops? Could we get tax relief on things we need to buy e.g. laser printer for labels etc?

Many Thanks, Steve. :)

Hi I would have to say you DO need php and somthing called MySQL to run a daterbace someone might be able to help you with that part of it if you want. However I know of a web hosting here in the UK that does e-commerce 123-reg.co.uk and they do instant site which might be your best bet as for regesting your busness I cant help you I have a busness and I had it all set up for me by someone else (I don't know if I pay tax or not so it cant be a lot if I do!) :wink:
  • seularts
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recommend you 2 cart platforms: 1. is Zen Cart and 2. is E-Commerce. If you are new to web design and web codding, than just try to get a host with a c-panel that can install for you wordpress and then you can attach the e-commerce plug-in to it and just start adding items to sell.
  • debrah
  • Born
  • Born
  • debrah

Post 3+ Months Ago

Starting an online store requires determination and patience, but with a little luck and some sweat equity, we'll have you in business with a free online store in no time. This article is intended to teach folks how to start an online store in a free to low cost way [rates and qualifies emerging technologies for starting an online store].

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts