Need Help with a client entering data to website please.

• stumps

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have no idea how to do what I want, but I know it can be done.

Basically, I need the user to be able to click on a button ("button A") which will prompt a form submission box in which they will enter normal text in and hit submit ("button B").

From here the submission needs to be routed directly to the website and show up on the websites page immediatly.

Basically, this would be like a Forum...but since the website is only used by our local network and not on the internet, and that I don't have money to shell out for a Forum program, I was wondering if there was any way to do this other than by Forums.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, there are free forum scripts available - the one that powers this site for example...

http://www.phpbb.com
  • stumps

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the link, I'll look into that for my personal use, but like I was saying...this is a work computer...and one of the things that they block is installations.

I know this is possible with a variable from of html...I just don't know what I need to put in the code to make it self check and what not.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm a network admin stumps. If you have a specific task to do, then sit down with your network admin and talk to him/her. Most of us guys/gals are reasonable. The security is in place to prevent newbs from screwing up the network. If a free forum script like phpBB and your network will support php and mysql and you need to get a job done, then he/she may listen to your request and help you with it if he/she can.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you can't install phpBB, then how are you able to install any script that accomplishes the task you require done?

Like ATNO says, just sit down with the system admin. If the server supports PHP & MySQL, then installing the script is no different to running the script. It is not a windows executable. Installing a PHP forum script such as phpBB simply enters configuration data into the database - just the same as making a post in the forum would do.
  • stumps

Post 3+ Months Ago

ah ok...my misunderstanding...
I thought it was a windows exicutatable.
Like I said...I'm bran spanking new at anything to do with Forums, or databases.

Maybe this will help clear my inquery up a little.
I'm in the military.
We have a number of computers that are networked in our offices at my station in which I created a local offline website for users to use from their desktop for the purpose of keeping up to date on what's going on.
Part of the page is an area for Notes for various reasons.
I want users to be able to add and remove notes on/from the web page without (as presently done) going into the source code and updating the html (for obvious reasons).
Do you think that a Forum would be the best medium for this, or is there another way to get this done.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I go back to my original statement. However, perhaps for what you want to do, phpBB may not be the most appropriate choice. But it could be. The only thing you can do to make it happen is perhaps show your questions here to the admin and see if he/she has any ideas to help you accomplish your goal.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would go with either a forum or PostNuke...

You can add a forum to PostNuke, but there's also a links database, news & articles, etc. http://www.postnuke.com
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good idea Axe, But I keep looking at his second post, and the fact that his admin blocked installations leads me to believe the Network is a Windows flavor. In which case the php and mySql stuff would have to be added to it. I'm currently using SQL2000 but still haven't quite figured out how to add php into the mix without screwing things up.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahhh, then I guess he's just serving local files from a shared directory maybe...

hmm.. in that case, yeah it's gonna be tough to produce anything interactive that you'd be able to update without editing the actual code...

If you do speak to your admin about setting up a real web server application, have a look at http://www.foxserv.net

They have an Apache/PHP/MySQL package all-in-one nice single setup file. All preconfigured to run happily. I've had that setup running on a Windows 2000 Professional machine here as a windows test box without any problems.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm....I think after a cursory glance I'm going to thank you big time for that link in the long run, Axe. But thanks in advance.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You've not seen that before? It's a great solution for those who just want to develop sites but don't need to know all the ins-and-outs of manually configuring all that lot to work happily with each other :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts