Need help with designing ideas

• casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I too use tables for forms, although I recently saw a tutorial on table-like alignment using CSS. I've been meaning to give that one a try, as I really don't like using tables for form alignment.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

casablanca wrote:
Sorry if I always sound negative, just a few more suggestions. :)

1. The text in the login box looks too big.
2. The input fields are unnecessarily long.
3. The username and password fields are not aligned with each other. (the one below is a bit to the left of the one above)

That's what I like about your posts :D I can improve on my site template

How do you like it now? The logo is kind of new and I'm not sure about it and... (Form this-alignment is fixed).

The reason the log in form input fields are that long is to not make that box "too empty" And I'm using that box for members...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

So, am is the template ready for the site or do I have anything else to improve on?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The layout looks fine, but some of the colors could be changed. Such as your webpages name, and the login box text. Also the headers for your content are a little to green.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

SpooF wrote:
The layout looks fine, but some of the colors could be changed. Such as your webpages name, and the login box text. Also the headers for your content are a little to green.

Thanks... I changed colors for the headers and the log in box... Are they a bit more readable?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would use a color like this for your headers #798030
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey, I tried entering admin and some of this 'Sql', and to have come to this page.

Does this mean your page is vulnerable? or I'm just doing nothing? I'm just trying to help if I can check and see your new website is safe. That's all, nothing more and less. Or I'm just thinking too much?
Attachments:
bogey.jpg
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

And 1 more thing, no matter what kind of username I entered while registering, It will never be a valid Username.

Your code needs some changes I think?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

George L. wrote:
Bogey, I tried entering admin and some of this 'Sql', and to have come to this page.

Does this mean your page is vulnerable? or I'm just doing nothing? I'm just trying to help if I can check and see your new website is safe. That's all, nothing more and less. Or I'm just thinking too much?

I understand and appreciate it... PM me the sql you were trying... I tried some and I got to the error page saying invalid username/password combination...

I checked the database and you didn't do anything. Don't know why it led you to that page though... shouldn't do anything though as I checked and erases HTML from all submitted fields and did mysql_real_escape_string(); on all submitted fields.

About registration... are you sure it said invalid? It allows letters and numbers and 10 characters max. I use the following regex...
Code: [ Select ]
if(!eregi('^[a-z1-9]{3,10}$', $username))...

That was way back then when I didn't know regex and copied pasted something into eregi and made something that seemed to work... I will change that to a preg_match();... I don't want to have dots or some other weird characters for usernames, although it would probably make no difference... I guess it makes the membership list look cleaner.

:lol: I probably should mention the username specifications on the registration page...
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

The page you saw George L. was Bogey's web hosts default 404 page for there apache setup. It only comes up when and if you enter a invalided url to an application on the server. Kind of complicated to explain in just a few lines. They use a different kind of hosting system.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, but I don't understand why he got it from clicking a submit button.

Alright... I guess I'm converting my site to this layout then...
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you look closely at the url in the screen shot you will see its trying to access a secure URL, most likely you don't have your application setup correctly to use a secure url. There for the web faction servers don't know where to point the address and they default to their 404.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, that seems the problem, but I don't have the log in set up for secure connection... I could but I don't even know why it went there... I don't have "https" in my hard-coded
form...

[EDIT:] I have done quite a bit of changes to that linked file... care to check it out and tell me how it is? Before I implement that on my site I would like to hear a bit of review and get my other pages over with :lol:
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

:D Yet another suggestion: Why not make all the tabs the same height? It feels awkward when you click on one tab and suddenly the page bounces up and down.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

casablanca wrote:
:D Yet another suggestion: Why not make all the tabs the same height? It feels awkward when you click on one tab and suddenly the page bounces up and down.

I thought about that but then it would either leave empty space at the bottom of the text or I would have to become creative :lol:

I guess I will have some space under the text... just so it won't be awkward (I understand what you are saying... and the fact that it's at the very bottom doesn't help :roll: ) thanks casablanca... you've being a great help from the beginning :D

How do you like it now? :)
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, empty space would be fine - it's not really empty, you have the enclosing div colour, so you know it's the tab.

And thank you, it's really nice to know that I've been of help.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your welcome :)

So, is there any more things I can improve on the template?
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nothing I can think of in terms of design. Just a minor usability issue: the default link colour makes me think I've already visited it. :)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I lightened the default color... what do you think now?
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Perfect! I just love plain blue for links.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

:D Are the hover colors ok?
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes. Hover is just an added effect, so it can be anything as long as it's readable.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

casablanca wrote:
Yes. Hover is just an added effect, so it can be anything as long as it's readable.

Alright :D I'm in the process of converting my old template to this one... it may take awhile as I took the liberty than to develop on that template before review... man, I learned my lesson :lol:

Oh well, this one comes with a more usable registration form and some other features that wouldn't have being here if I didn't do it this way

Thanks casablanca, I appreciate your help a lot :D
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey, I think it's what pretty much what Spoof has said. It wasn't hackable I think, that was just a default page showing Error by your host.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

why don't you change the username check to [a-zA-Z0-9] ... ? and allow for capitals aswell?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

righteous_trespasser wrote:
why don't you change the username check to [a-zA-Z0-9] ... ? and allow for capitals aswell?

Thanks... I'm going to do that :D thanks

I got to get my own personal 404 Error page :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 56 posts