Need help with designing ideas

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is what I currently have for my wedevoy redesign project. I said I will have a poll and I will, I just found it very difficult to photoshop that one... went straight to coding it.

The problem with that is that I don't know how to make the content box. I guess my creativity or something/whatever stops here. If anyone wants to contribute a little help and set me on the correct path to put the content box the correct way than it would be great. Thanks for all your help so far :) Greatly appreciate it.

I also feel like my logo needs a TON of work. Can't think of anything so far.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I always find that very mall things make quite a difference ... like maybe using another font for instance:
Code: [ Select ]
body{
font-family:calibri,arial,helvetica;
}
  1. body{
  2. font-family:calibri,arial,helvetica;
  3. }

and maybe add a little padding to the text in the "login" box ... just like 5px or so ... and then make the corners of the login box rounded instead of completely square (if that's possible) ...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks, I'll try that.

Also, how does the "template" look? I want to finally create one that works :lol: and not one that is a huge box of eye-candy *lol
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I like it much more than some of your previous templates ...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

What about the main content? I don't know how to put it into the design. I've tried a couple of things and I'm not happy with neither of them...

Also, why can't I have height be 100%? Like of the div it's inside and not of the whole screen?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't remember about the 100% thing ... have you tried adding "body{height:100%}" ... ?

About the content ... Have you got anything that would go into a left hand side menu? because I think that'd look good, or you could use what I'd like to call the "mozilla concept" ... with a 100% wide header, and the content that fits into a normal 1024*768 screen ... (980px wide)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Adding 100% height to the body doesn't do anything.

But if I put absolute positioning than it is 100% of the screen and not the div that it's in :(

I will have some left-content things that I would need to put on in there.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey I think that navigation, sidebar, and content elements are the hardest details to flush out. You want them to be strong enough to be the center (but not so strong they are the only thing you see on the page) and you want them to be the same style but all the while different.

When I get stuck on styling I tend to look around and see what other folks are doing. Here are 2 sites I use. CSS Heros and Design Shack

I'm not saying steal ideas but at the same time its good to see how other people solved the same problems.

EDIT: Also give me some more info on what you are looking for in a logo.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

@CXLink: That's what I've being trying... attempting numerous of things for the template and looked about... thanks for those tips and the link though... appreciate and will check out those links when I come home from work.

I don't even know what I want my logo to be, I just know I need a logo :lol:

I'm just thinking how to put in the content div in there and how to style it without ruining the design...
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

k so you need a logo. What do you want the logo to say about the site? or maybe a better question is what is the site for?

Also another good gallery is here.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

The log in box is a little too big.
The color is a bit old.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've uploaded the "finished" version of the redesign. I edited the logo a little bit but I'm currently thinking over a different logo... don't know how it would be or anything... I don't really like the current logo...

Any inspirational ideas would be great. Also, thanks CXLink for those links... I will look through them later on today after I'm done with some business :)

Thanks again for everybody's reviews, help and ideas on it. Greatly appreciated :D
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Aside from logo, Are you done with the overall websites usability? i.e. functions, pages....?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

No not really, you can post in threads, quote and start topics and I guess you can submit tuts but the usability SUCKS :lol: I will do some research and use a phpBB forum and use it's postings and viewings for tutorials. (Not subforums but like it's own page that I would have to create the page and database tables for). More work is ahead of me *groan* :lol: )
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can post?? Err...I'd like to visit your website soon. Nice coloring except when it's too Green, it looks a tad bit like Indian websites.

No offense, just personal point of view. After all, nothing's wrong with them.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol: Whuahaha, I came to revenge on the fact that you stole my land...

Umm... if any of you are Indians, no pun/joke/discriminatory thing was intended... if I offended anyone it's from my ignorance of Indians.

Anyway... Yes, you can post after registering if you register.

Once I get my design that I want and that works I will get that to work with my programming and thats when I would continue to finish my programming... I think I'm going somewhere with this template though... just got a lot of problems on how to put the content stuff and SXLink's links are helping me by a TON (Thanks once again... I bookmarked some of them :D :D :D )

[EDIT:] I updated it a little... I think I got the content thing how I want it... how do you ozzunians thing? :P
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quick note you might want to look into padding the stuff in the sidebar and in the content area.

Also on the little login window in the top right you may want to try a smaller font size on all the fonts in the window as well as a white or lighter color font maybe a light green for the title or something. (also you might want to try left aligning the "Log In" title its the only thing on the page except the buttons that is center aligned)
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just another idea.

Edit: Still not 100% on the sidebar though.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is why I love ozzu ...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks CXLink for that post... I got most of it implemented... working on my logo and the log in thing :lol:

Thanks so much... that really helped me out :D
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

no problem if you want the photoshop file or illustrator file to play with let me know.
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I'm a bit late into the discussion but I should confess: the new design looks way better than the old one. I'm sure it'll look great once you pop in the actual content along with some images and stuff - it just looks a bit too plain now.

And well, CXLink has already pointed out (in his image) what little I wanted to - the login box. Times New Roman is simply a big NO for anything but articles and I don't think the little icons of the man and key fit in very well either.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, I will start to think of someway to put the content so it wouldn't look boring or whatever.

I will remove the images from the log in thing I guess. Thanks for all that help casablanca...

@CXLink: I don't think I need the Photoshop file but it would be great though... thanks :)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I finally uploaded the updated version of the redesign... same link just different source for CSS, some more images blah blah blah

Here

[EDIT:] Should I use this design or should I be creating another one? :scratchhead:
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Fresh designs are always fun but i have the problem with never settling on and finalizing one, instead I get one 3/4 done and start another one.

Can I suggest not crossing font types (between sans and serif fonts) it works well if you can be picky with the fonts but web standards kinda keep you from being picky, just a thought.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

What about now? How do the font's look?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

try using Calibri quick and see what you think ...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like Arial for that... maybe I shouldn't use Arial?

I chose a sans with a sans (I think so anyway... Times New Roman and Arial... those both are sans... right?)
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry if I always sound negative, just a few more suggestions. :)

1. The text in the login box looks too big.
2. The input fields are unnecessarily long.
3. The username and password fields are not aligned with each other. (the one below is a bit to the left of the one above)
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

usually when designing froms I put them in a table to get all the textboxes aligned ... maybe there is another way I don't know about aswell ... ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 56 posts