Need product page layout advice

• UVBoy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: London, Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am redesigning my website and the everything looks great except I'm not happy with the product page layout. The products on my website are quite technical and I want to present a lot of information in a clean and attractive format. Does anybody have any examples of websites where technical products are represented nicely?

Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

How technical is the info? Can you break it out to things like tech specs and sell sheets that are downloaded independently? When I was involved in the American Standard brands sites a lot of thought went into how to display all the data around a product. I think the results worked out pretty well.

Here's a few Examples Faucets Category
Faucet Detail
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Look around at what other store's website's catalogs look like. They work. Like what graphixboy pointed out there. That tab-changing spot at the bottom could be used to categorize the different kind of specs you got (The one you see in Faucet Detail).

That has pretty much become the standard for showing off products for shopping sites. If you've come across a more functional, revolutionary and a creative way to do this, than go ahead, maybe it will be the next best thing.

I've also seen online stores with the products listed from top to bottom... not left to right like the faucet thing. The products would look like the forum posts that you see when you open a thread like this one. The place where the avatar and username is located would be the name of the product and possibly a picture of that product. The place at the right would be some details about that product. (Just like eBay).

But that would be the preview, not the detail page. I would use that kind of layout when you need a little bit more information on the product on the preview page. Or if you want to eliminate the details page and have everything on one page... PAGINATED. I would say 10 or 15 products per page. That seems to be good.

Most of online shops look like the example that graphixboy gave you though. The only difference between the different shops is the colors and possible the placement of the navigation column. Some online shops have a column on both sides of the content column (The content column being the column that shows the products).

That's about all that I can think of right now. Good luck with your site.
  • UVBoy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: London, Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you guys know if the information hidden within the tabs can be found by search engine spiders. I don't want any changes I make to the layout to negatively impact my SEO efforts.

Thx.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

It depends on how its done. The tabs on the AMSTD site are actually divs that exist on the page and then are hidden with CSS when the page is rendered so bots would just see that as one long page with lots of content. However, if you wrote the page with a bunch of AJAX calls or serverside stuff that added content to the page then spiders would miss out.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts