Need some advice

• freshmoney85
  • Born
  • Born
  • freshmoney85

Post 3+ Months Ago

i was looking to get a website built, i know a little about web design but it;s mostly basic html. i need more information on what i need to look for in a web designer. (http://www.carsteering.com/)<-- is the one of the site i have been looking at. the design is not what i'm interested in. but there database that helps customers search for car parts is what i want to some what imitate. I am looking for more information on what programming they are using or what programming i would need a webmaster to work with to build such a database. and what would be a good going rate for me to pay for web work of this caliber. I much would you think is a good price to pay for this type of work with a nice design. If any one is in the south florida area i would love to work with you on this project. thank you
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Really all you need is someone with basic server-side scripting knowledge such as ASP for active server pages from microsoft or PHP for hypertext preprocessor which is free along with many others. The price between the languages can vary greatly depending on how resourceful the programmer is and how much experience they have with the language so it's hard to give you information on cost. Also, you would have to use whatever programmer is available to you. If the site is geared towards ecommerce then you'll want to make sure the programmer has knowledge about SSL (secure socket layer) certificates and installation and securing data. Ecommerce/shopping cart packages can be expensive or free along with monthly fees, monthly merchant service fees and costs per sale, and the SSL certificate will have a fee also. Which brings us back around to your cost being 'how resourceful your programmer is and how knowledgable he is with his language (for instance if there's a free ecommerce package written in php you can't get a visual basic programmer to install it unless he knows both). So, the programmer is going to charge you for any programming or programs,serverspace, and merchant services that he has to pay for or if he can get them for free he can charge on the difficulty it takes to get everything installed. If the programmer is good and he can install everything in a weekend then it's just up to him on what he wants to charge. Hourly wages can range from $15 USD to $100 USD. For design and graphic work I usually find $15 an hour can buy a decent/good graphic person on several occasions. It seems to be a going rate in my opinion, but you would just have to gauge the person's work for yourself if they want more. Microsoft languages and databases usually cost more even microsoft servers for hosting cause of course you'll always have to pay for MS. So, if you can get a good php/mysql programmer or other open-source language you may save a few bucks... because open-source people are generally more resourceful (make the best out of nothing) and generally more well-rounded individuals. The last part after the ellipsis is a joke.
  • Rully
  • Rully

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think what devilwood said its rite. Maybe you can googling for "web designer". I know someone who has ability to do with you project, but unfortunately I can't make a contact with him. I'll inform you if i have new information...
  • freshmoney85
  • Born
  • Born
  • freshmoney85

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for you help this information is really helpful. if you guys know any good programmers in the south florida area let me know. thanks

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts