I need some tips on how to build a browser detection system

• othmhamilton
  • othmhamilton

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm building one for the site I run. I'm lost for understanding the tutorials I've found online and need to know a few things - like some java basics, to start, and how such a system would be useful in loading a version of the home page built with the user's browser in mind.

Could someone PLEASE HELP ME?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would suggest not to do that, rather build something that is cross-browser compatible ... it is possible. It will save you a LOT of hassles later ...
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Agreed. Or you could always use jQuery's detect, if you need a bit of browser specific javascript or use browser specific conditional statements to load something like an IE specific css file.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537512%28VS.85%29.aspx
http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum21/11279.htm
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cross Browser Compatibility is your absolute best bet. The issues with detecting the users browser, then loading a page specific to them:

1: Your going to have to build pages for numerous browsers, or have one large file with all the different versions. Either way, not as efficient.

2: Custom browsers. Quite a few companies are using custom browsers these days that your script wouldn't detect. Most of these browsers are built off standard browser cores, such as Mozilla's Gecko.

3: Your talking about even more testing to bug fix everything with your detection script AND bug test your actual website with each browser anyway.

Bottom line, I can't think of a single reason you would need to detect the browser and load a custom version.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts