Need someone to try and load my page in IE

• RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm having a little problem with a new webhost. Every time I try to load my page in IE it hangs and doesn't display. It loads fine in Mozilla. I was wondering if someone could visit http://www.gotodev.com with IE and tell me if it loads. I sent them an email and they insist it is loading just fine, but I'm not having any trouble loading any other pages with IE only this new account.

Thanks
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Loads fine.

Moved to webdesign.

Some chees and wine.

And a greased swine.

Green eggs and slime.

Do you have the time?

ok I am done! :-P
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks,

It's valid xhtml, so it's not really a web design issue and there aren't any server-side scripts involved, so I didn't think it qualified as a programming issue. I thought it might be a web hosting issue, but now I'm not sure. I still can't load it in IE 6.0 though and it's the only webpage that won't load. I can't figure out why it's hanging when nothing else is.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It works for me, too. IE 6 SP1

I have serious doubts it would make a difference, but I always add this line to XHTML docs prior to the doctype at the top:

Code: [ Select ]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>

Like I said I doubt that will make a difference since it's really only setting the charset.

I would try going to IE 6 - Tools|Internet Options| - General Tab|settings. Make sure to click "Every visit to the page"
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks,

I always have IE set that way anyway, but I emptied the cache just in case, and it's still not loading. I'm running browsercam on it now to try it in different browsers. This is extremely odd since I have the exact same page on my other host and it shows just fine in IE when I view it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK...now you have me thinking a little bit. I'm trying to remember, but I think I remember this once and I seem to recall it has to do with DNS caching. Something about if the site happened to be down last time you viewed it, the DNS cache will still show it to you that way (I know that's not 100% right), but sorta on the lines of what I'm thinking about. I know that's probably confusing. I'm just thinking out loud. Last time I did that UNFLUX slapped my hands.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is very possible ATNO... Give it a few days and see if it works...
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your help guys,

I found the problem. I had been fooling around with the custom 404 settings and had briefly uploaded a page named "404.html" and then deleted it after playing around with it. Unfortunately, I did not remove the setting for the custom 404 page which no longer existed.

When I transferred the page from my old site I didn't bother to upload the old stylesheet for ne 4x and apparently it was generating an error because I got an error message about cyclic redirects when I used browsercam to view it with safari and konqueror.

Apparently it went into an infinite loop looking for the error page, or at least it works fine now that I put the custom 404 back up. I'm not sure why it didn't happen to anyone else viewing it, although the fact that I'm still using win98 might have something to do with it. I'm getting xp at the end of the month finally. :)

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*lol too funny -- glad you got it
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am on 98SE so that couldn't be it...