Needing META tag help!

• silentdreamer
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Trapped in the mist of dark desires...

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, i made all neccessary meta tags for my site, made the title tag, but when i use those web analyzers to check, it says theres NO tags on my page and NO title tag... can someone tell me what's wrong? the page is here : http://www.cat-gear.net

if theres nothing wrong with the tags, can you tell me what else can be the problem?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

You definetly have plenty of META TAGS there, however I would say the program you were using to check them was faulty. You could try some others.
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

Moved to Web Design.

I've had flaky results from meta tag analyzers in the past. I think musik is right and you should try some others.
  • silentdreamer
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually, i've already tried several. i've tried:

http://www.submitexpress.com/analyzer/

http://www.sitesubmit.ca

and i did a meta check for my PHPBB index and it works, so thats why i am confused when it didnt work for my homepage (which contains similar tags)
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I doubt this will work but maybe they need to be xhtml compliant, change all of your ">" to " />"
example:
Code: [ Select ]
<meta blah blah blah />
  • silentdreamer
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

nope... it didn't work... :( i am doomed! is there another way? is there a possibility that something else is causing the problem? (eg, my server)? anything? :cry: i am desperate now...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer wrote:
I doubt this will work but maybe they need to be xhtml compliant, change all of your ">" to " />"

The doctype is HTML 4.01 transitional. The slash isn't necessary. Besides it was added incorrectly when you added it to the meta tags silent dreamer. There should always be a space between the last character and the slash. For the most part your meta tags look just fine. In fact they are significantly better than most write.

Your keywords that start with the dot and have the colon and/or slashes at the beginning of your keywords is the only thing that I've never seen before. All you really need is words separated be either commas or spaces. (The commas aren't even necessary as the bots ignore them anyway.)
  • silentdreamer
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

i guess the problem here is, why the bot is ignoring my description and title tag. I am now actually more afraid than curious. All the phpbb files has the same meta tags and they checked out just fine. However, all my .htm files that i made with wordpad doesn't work.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

did you copy and paste from phpbb into a new document and just test that ?
  • silentdreamer
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer wrote:
did you copy and paste from phpbb into a new document and just test that ?

ya, that was what i originally did. it didnt work, so my current meta tags are generated by sitesubmit.ca
  • silentdreamer
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

what is this symbol ÿþ# ?

I found ÿþ# when i was using some analyzers to check my robots.txt file (which is made using wordpad and saved as robot.txt while the file format was set to unicode in the saving window)

i use wordpad to make my htm files too and i save them as... lets say index.htm and the file format was set to unicode in the saving window... might that be the problem? if you dont know what i meant, i'd gladly make a screenshot to explain.

edit: sorry! :( I am so sorry for wasting all your valuable time! it was the problem and i fixed it... so sorry!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts