New to ftp...

• Impreza
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Impreza

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi friends, all my life (not that really old though), i've been using free webhosting..be it geocities or any other form of "free hosting". As what you guys already know..most or all of them have a sort of control panel in them...

The problem now is, i have a nice friend who is willing to me give a bit of space...but only provided me with:

Ftp Access, Password, Hostftp, and a Url....

Now, what i want to know is, lol..this may sonds easy for some of you guys here...how can i make directories, like the one that is in free webhosting sites..like, image folders, sound folders, blablabla...i've heard of CuteFtp, but is it of any good? Can anyone advise me on how to start...tia friends.

:oops:

and also if possible, how do i start a webpage..and those / in them...thank you.
  • HotGuru
  • Born
  • Born
  • HotGuru

Post 3+ Months Ago

cute ftp is pretty good... there are many out there, you can find loads more at http://www.tucows.com

Do you know how to use ftp?
  • Impreza
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Impreza

Post 3+ Months Ago

:( no, have not use before..is the ftp software enable us to do a sort of "control panel" in them?
  • ashmaninc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ashmaninc

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can just use internet explorer? my favorite is smartFTP
its very good ;)
if you use the standard internet explorer then you can just right click. add new folder and thats it
make sure you are logged in. ( right click ) login as...
  • Impreza
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Impreza

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry, but i dont understand you..how do i get to my given space? Are you trying to say that from the ftp sofware i can create my own control panel..and upload it to the site?..sorry, my first time... :oops:
  • ashmaninc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ashmaninc

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok. what is your actual goal here? how do you mean control panel? what access do you have?
  • Impreza
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Impreza

Post 3+ Months Ago

Impreza wrote:
Ftp Access, Password, Hostftp, and a Url....

only these.....
  • ashmaninc
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ashmaninc

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok have u used internet explorer for FTP? and what u mean by this control panel?
  • Impreza
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Impreza

Post 3+ Months Ago

what i meant by control panel is where usually when you sign up for hosting anywhere, they have this control panel set up for you, so you have no difficulties acessing your folders and making your webpage, blablabla..but currently, i have only access to those i posted above....

nope, i have never use ie for ftp before..
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

FTP software connects via a special protocol. You will need to know the address of the server's FTP host, your username, and your password. Which you should have.

An FTP client is a program on your computer that connects to the FTP server, get a directory listing, and shows the contents of your starting directory. Most also show, in another pane, a directory of files on the C drive (if you're using Windows), and you can navigate to your local web page's directory.

In order to transmit files to the server, you need to (a) make sure you're in the right directory on the server, and (b) select the local files you want to send, and then (c) click "Transmit" or such (this part depends on what FTP software you're using, of course. Some software allows you to "drag 'n drop" the files to the server.)

You can also transmit files from your space on the server to your computer, using the same method in reverse.

Using FTP is much simpler and easier than doing file uploads via HTTP. You don't need to worry about any "control panels" and such - it's just dragging and dropping.

I recommend the FileZilla FTP client.
  • JackDoff
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • JackDoff

Post 3+ Months Ago

FlashFXP is my recommendation but it's not free, but ... yea
FileZilla is freeware so I agree with Sam thinking you should start with this one
Here's a link for you
http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I vote for filezilla as well. Assuming the hostftp you have is a URL or hostname (domain.com) you would simply enter that information as Sam stated in the ftp client and login to upload your files. Once you upload a index.html page into the public_hmtl folder it will serve as the first page people will see when they visit your site from their browser.
  • Impreza
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Impreza

Post 3+ Months Ago

gee peppz, thank you so much..i begin to understand abit now..so, Uncensored-Hosting, is there any tutorials which i can learn step by step through out the process?

So you people are saying its better that control panels?..thyank you so much, i'll definetely learn a lot from you people... :oops:
  • uknightuss
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • uknightuss

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I understand you correctly Impreza, you are talking about a type of interface that these free hosting sites give you. I've used them a little bit myself and I know that the links that they give you are pretty self explanatory, (like: create new folder, delete, create new page, add item, edit page, etc..) Those free hosting sites try and make it as easy as humanly possible for someone to make a basic webpage with their "control panel" or site editing software.

With FTP there is not really a control panel to work with(at least not the kind described above..), only the interface of whichever FTP client you choose (which you will get used to, it's not that hard). And as mentioned above, you can sometimes just log into FTP using internet explorer and just drag and drop your folders/directories into place.

With the free "build your own webpage" sites, you can pretty much do all of your site editing right through the browser window and do not necessarily need to use other software that much.

With FTP you are uploading pages that you've made on your local computer (home) to a server (web) for other people to view. With this method you need to have some kind of site design software on your home computer like Dreamweaver or even just Front Page, and an image editiing program like Photoshop. You would then design all of your pages, graphics, folders, and directories/names of directories right on your hard drive. You will have a copy of your entire website stored in one folder on your hard drive (for example D:\websites\YOURSITENAME\)

When you are comfortable with the site that you've designed and stored in your chosen folder on your hard drive and you are now ready for the world to see, you can then open your FTP client, click the connect button and type in the url that you were given, use your password, and log into the folder/directory that you have permission to use.

At that point when you log in you can usually browse your local home computer in one window, and browse the remote directory in another window (most ftp clients are set up this way). You can browse to your website folder on your local computer window and select it by clicking on it, and then what you want to do is transfer it to the remote server, but before you transfer make sure that you are transferring your data into the correct directory, to do this just make sure that the window you are browsing the remote server with is in the folder that you want to transfer the date into. You can also just drag and drop an item onto a folder or location.

It sounds complicated at first but it's pretty easy to get used to. Besides, you will see that when you start making your pages with real design software that has real flexibility and not the constraints of the free hosting site software, that things get much more enjoyable with what you can do on the web!

You can PM me if you have any more questions about this stuff. I hope this info will help you for now though.
  • VentsyV
  • Student
  • Student
  • VentsyV

Post 3+ Months Ago

FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol. It is used (as the name says) to upload/download files from remonte servers. You need an FTP client to connect to the server via FTP. You browser (assuming you have IE) has it build in. To connect over FTP through your browser, write in the URL bar:
ftp://username:password@domain.com
The remote server will appear as if it is a local folder and you will be able to copy, delete move or do whatever files.
If you want to use the build in FTP client through DOS, get a shell window running(start->run "cmd")
type:
ftp mydomain.com
Then you will be asked for username and pass.
Put them in.
? gives you the list of all commands.
help command_name gives you short describtion on what the command does.
Have fun :)
  • Uncensored-Hosting
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Imprezza let me know if unknightus' explanation did not clarify things for you.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts