New Technologies?

• tldiekmann
  • tldiekmann
  • Loc: Houston, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was wondering what everyone thinks will be the "next great thing".

I remember when people started all these blogs, I didn't think it would be a big deal...boy was I wrong! :shock:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

The next "great" thing or just the next big fad? I am not saying blogs are fads - personal publishing of the blog sort is exactly what the Web is best for.

The next _great_ thing in the Web will take 20-30 years, and that will be the HTML Renaissance, when HTML gets replaced by a new and different language (possibly called XHTML 2 or a derivative spec) with an extendable set of rich markup. And CSS won't be used.

I can dream... :)
  • AthenasBane
  • Student
  • Student
  • AthenasBane
  • Loc: Memphis, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

100 gigabit ethernet. thats what my drumline section leader seems to think anyway. i look for the day when microsoft loses it's stranglehold on the market and most people at least know what linux is.
  • tldiekmann
  • tldiekmann
  • Loc: Houston, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, good point about being a "fad". lol

Wireless is starting to come on the scene around here. More and more places (other than StarBucks) are offering wireless access.

And, hey, AthenasBane, what's Linux? JK
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

AthenasBane wrote:
100 gigabit ethernet. thats what my drumline section leader seems to think anyway. i look for the day when microsoft loses it's stranglehold on the market and most people at least know what linux is.

100 gigabit? Maybe in backbones for big companies, but a home user will never need 100 gigabit connection. Even 1 gigabit is overboard for a home connection, since it will just be used to transfer huge files from one comptuer to another, and how often do you feel the need to transfer raw DVD quality movies from one computer to the next?
...ending of my rant.

But I am not sure what the next fad will be, if I did, I would try and find a way to make money from it, and get rich. :wink:
But I do see open source software becoming more and more popular, things like the department of defense telling people they shouldn't be using IE, and should be using firefox, or other browsers instead. Also things like linux and other unix operating systesms, having a better environment then windows, but still being able to have people adapt. Also development in WINE, soon it will be a lot easier to run windows applications painlessly in a linux enviornment.
  • Moses08
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Moses08

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tom the Great wrote:
100 gigabit? Maybe in backbones for big companies, but a home user will never need 100 gigabit connection. Even 1 gigabit is overboard for a home connection, since it will just be used to transfer huge files from one comptuer to another, and how often do you feel the need to transfer raw DVD quality movies from one computer to the next?
...ending of my rant.

Did people think we ever needed high-speed when the internet was text only? Nope. New technology is coming out all the time, and it takes more and more space. DVD will most likely be replaced in 20 to 30 years, by some format that can hold millions of GBs. It's hard to foresee in the future, but I can say with reasonable confidence, that file sizes will increase and that will cause hardware to improve.
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Moses08 wrote:
Tom the Great wrote:
...ending of my rant.

Did people think we ever needed high-speed when the internet was text only? Nope. New technology is coming out all the time, and it takes more and more space. DVD will most likely be replaced in 20 to 30 years, by some format that can hold millions of GBs. It's hard to foresee in the future, but I can say with reasonable confidence, that file sizes will increase and that will cause hardware to improve.

But 100gigabit is way to huge of a speed. High end backbone internet connections like OC-xx don't even go past a few gigabit connection speeds. Maybe in at least 5-10 years before even 1 gigabit ethernet cards are standard on the average computer.
  • AthenasBane
  • Student
  • Student
  • AthenasBane
  • Loc: Memphis, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey that may have been my bad, most new routers/switches are 10gb/sec, no? Not 100. Im not sure, this guy i kno, Jonathan, was goin on and on one day about "Internet 2".
So i looked it up and I think it was just guys trying to get either 10base100 or 100base100 connections/networking to go big....? Im really not sure now and I really dont feel like wading through all the pr crap on their site again.

i still think a big jump in connection speed will be the next big thing though....theres probably going to be stuff out there that nobody now has even thought about in 10 years right?
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sam Hughes wrote:
The next "great" thing or just the next big fad? I am not saying blogs are fads - personal publishing of the blog sort is exactly what the Web is best for.

The next _great_ thing in the Web will take 20-30 years, and that will be the HTML Renaissance, when HTML gets replaced by a new and different language (possibly called XHTML 2 or a derivative spec) with an extendable set of rich markup. And CSS won't be used.

I can dream... :)

No CSS? ! :shock: I doubt that very much.
  • Moses08
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Moses08

Post 3+ Months Ago

gsv2com wrote:

No CSS? ! :shock: I doubt that very much.

CSS is actually getting quite old. Hopefully XML will overtake it in 2 to 3 years. CSS/XHTML is so dirty. :P
  • mackiller
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

what about CSS 3
  • Mr Smith
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mr Smith
  • Loc: Birmingham, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Moses08 wrote:

CSS is actually getting quite old. Hopefully XML will overtake it in 2 to 3 years.
CSS/XHTML is so dirty. :P

well.....XML's been around for years (98?) and as yet it still hasn't found a true purpose.....the only thing it's good for is for publishing stuff in different formats....but not for making webpages etc......

but anyways....XML replace CSS? :wha:

XML isn't meant to replace anything.....let alone CSS.....so that ain't gonna be happening.....
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe he meant XSL. :shock: But I doubt even that will ever replace CSS.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

CSS is here to stay in my opinion. Which is a good thing :D I can't wait until CSS 8!!! We'll see what the web will be about then...thats when CSS will render lighting for your Z indeces and there will be another roller on your mouse to go through them.
  • Mas Sehguh
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

CSS is a flawed language. But it's also better than any alternatives.

At some point, people will realize that designing for the screen media is silly, and that different Web page designs only hurt the user, compared to the power of a better markup language.
  • Moses08
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Moses08

Post 3+ Months Ago

XML/XSL is the future of webdesign as it stands right now. That is what I meant by my earlier comments.

XML/XSL is effective because it seperates style from content better than anything available.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

So basically what you're saying for the future is how its source code is displayed? I'm not sure I agree with you there...
  • ctompkins
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ctompkins

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with what the dreamer said near the top - all of these will be replaced by something way cool. XML is here to stay at least for a while, but I don't think CSS will be around much longer. Take a look at the direction of flash, if you use it. Although you can use CSS it seems pointless as it has built-in alternatives. But XML is a big integration with the newer versions.

As far as 100-gigabit ethernet, I agree it will be coming sooner than everybody thinks. Just remember back in the early 90s when everybody said "hey 100MB of hard drive space is waaaay big, you'll never fill that up".... Now they are making keychain drives bigger than that, which replace diskettes.

I think the dreamer side of me wants to see more integration of home electronics. Make the TV and computer and security system all the same device, and the like. I know it's possible already, but I want to see it en masse. Open source software has a tough time except with techies because of marketing - but as more people become educated, more people are switching to it.

That's all I got to say about that.
  • Mr Smith
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mr Smith

Post 3+ Months Ago

Moses08 wrote:
XML/XSL is the future of webdesign as it stands right now. That is what I meant by my earlier comments.

XML/XSL is effective because it seperates style from content better than anything available.

but, XML/XSL has been around years....why hasn't it overtaken css already (if it were going to)?

do you use it to design web pages in?
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol:

I heard I should learn XML around 6 years ago, but I didn't. And where would it have gotten me? Nowhere! The first problem with XML is that its an offspring of Microsoft. :D
  • Mr Smith
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mr Smith

Post 3+ Months Ago

neksus wrote:

I heard I should learn XML around 6 years ago, but I didn't. And where would it have gotten me? Nowhere! The first problem with XML is that its an offspring of Microsoft. :D

i have learnt how to use it just for knowledge sake, but i have never ever used it in real-life apps and doubt i ever will.....it's one of those things that's best kept in the 'stuff-i-know-that-i-don't-need' bin :twisted:
  • ctompkins
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ctompkins

Post 3+ Months Ago

Whoaaaahhh!!! XML is not a MS tit-suckler. Bill didn't make it. And XML is around in a lot of places, sometimes when you don't know it. Yes, it's been around for almost 10 years, but how long did it take for Java to become accepted? It wasn't instantaneous. If it's not used, then why did Flash just integrate it and Oracle just made a big movement to involve XML not long ago? XML has good uses when used properly, such as B2B components where databases are different, and for use with mainframes. Personally, I've never had the need to implement something with XML, but two of my friends (who are programmers for other companies) use it in their apps. It's by no means a little add-on or anything.

Mr Smith wrote:
neksus wrote:

i have learnt how to use it just for knowledge sake, but i have never ever used it in real-life apps and doubt i ever will.....it's one of those things that's best kept in the 'stuff-i-know-that-i-don't-need' bin :twisted:
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

ctompkins wrote:
but two of my friends (who are programmers for other companies) use it in their apps. It's by no means a little add-on or anything.

I'm a programmer for an "other" company and have been for a few years... and i'd definitely put my money on css and good ol html in terms of web development. XML does have it's purpose, but it'll never replace the good ol fashioned hypertext markup language and css(present and future) for web design/development in my opinion.
  • ctompkins
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ctompkins

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's unfortunate, then, if it isn't the successor to HTML, because XML has so much potential and seems like a natural transition. You don't even learn a new syntax! I know it may be a poor example, but flash has become a largely used web interface and barely needs html to function, so it's possible for html to be replaced. Couldn't you see the web going in that direction? Closer to the look of desktop apps? It would be a great thing for the web, and then I would be that much closer to having my dream of the web being 3d!!!! Mwahahaaha.

And by the way, gsv2com, your icon reminds me of the fable box. (which by the way is a good game if you have a spare afternoon to beat it)

gsv2com wrote:
ctompkins wrote:
but two of my friends (who are programmers for other companies) use it in their apps. It's by no means a little add-on or anything.

I'm a programmer for an "other" company and have been for a few years... and i'd definitely put my money on css and good ol html in terms of web development. XML does have it's purpose, but it'll never replace the good ol fashioned hypertext markup language and css(present and future) for web design/development in my opinion.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 24 posts