Newbeee here- in need of suggestions

• rhapesody9
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am a student enrolled in the Web Dev major. I am curious to know from the professionals: what programming language should I stress on to further my chances finding my 'dream' job. I have experience in Java, HTML, CSS, VB and database management (Access). Web programming is next semester ?PHP? more Java....
HELP! I want to become a webmaster! :shock:
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is your "dream" job?

The thing to keep in mind is that programming/scripting languages are only tools. A good web developer knows how to choose the right tool for a particular job. You need to understand the concepts and techniques behind web programming, not just one particular language.

PHP is relatively simple to learn if you've never done web programming before. It's syntax is similar to C and is relatively straight forward. Other languages, such as ColdFusion, are completely different, but the concept of how you use it is still the same.

Learn something well to get yourself started and then explore other languages so that you are familiar with them. That way, when a potential employer asks you if you are comfortable working with language-xyz, you'll at least have an idea of what you'd be dealing with.

// side note: where in NY?
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's tons of freebie tutorials all over on the web for just about every single language there is, just pick a few and learn the basics, then decide from there. I think you'll find out that once you know one or two programming languages (which you do), then learning another one or two is pie. But as far as PHP, perl, ASP, C or whatever, I know enough PHP to use it, I use perl for lots of stuff, I'm wanting to learn rich application development in java, just try a few out and pick whats right.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have choices between JAVA and PHP I suggest PHP but that may be because I like PHP a little too much :lol:
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Java and PHP are used for almost completely different purposes. :|
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

And he already has experience in Java ... So there is no reason to choose between the two ... Just a note, If you already know VB, you should find ASP.net very easy to learn ...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts