News in my webpage

• kanexpo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Geneva, Bangkok

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heyya

How to do news in my webpage. It's like the thing in the center than phpnuke uses. U can write news to it using php i guess and not manualy creating news.

Sorry it's hard for me to explain this. It's the middle colomn of a webpage which there are like boxes and u can add news to it...

I hope this was good enough of a description. If anyone could help get this done, and how it would be great frmo you guys .

tHnanks 8)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Ifrit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Portugal

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is something i usually use on my sites, and it is called a news management script done with php, really easy to install and use:

http://web.langame.net/air/
-CuteNews is pretty simple and straight forward.

or try:

http://www.fusionphp.org/
-FusionPHP is a bit more complex but you might like it alot.

If you have a means to install and run php scripts on your site, i recommend those 2 scripts for you to use and abuse.

I hope that helps, good luck.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Um..

You don't technically need PHP to put new on your site... You can just update your homepage with whatever tool you want (text editor, dreamweaver... etc), then upload the new file.

If you want a light online CMS like tool where you log in, go to an admin screen, fill out a form... etc... where the news is stored in a database to be displayed on your homepage, then you should at getting something more advanced.

If you have access enough to your server to implement a database and all that, I'd suggest you just go download PostNuke and use it... taking your existing template and porting to a PN Theme really isn' t that difficult, assuming you're familiar with very (very) basic PHP.

.c
  • Ifrit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

He did mention php so i guessed that's what he was looking for. I changed to a CMS also, because well... its just better >P
  • kanexpo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

thx everyone for your help

i hate to admit it but im a newbie in webpaging. i wish i werent, so thats why im learning like crazy :-)

So you said CMS is better? What is CMS if you dont mind explaining :oops:

cheers
  • Ifrit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

CMS Stands for Content Management System, some examples are:

http://www.phpnuke.com
http://www.postnuke.com
http://www.xoops.org <- my favorite :)

With these utilities, you can have your whole site fully operational to post news, create polls, write articles, create forums, add users, edit users, and much more, plus you can edit the whole layout so you can have your site the way you want it to look :)

Refer to those links to know more.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as free CMS system go, PostNuke is good, Xoops (pronounced Z-UP-S) is good to. I'd suggest PN to start, since there is already a large support community (Xoops has a good community too, but I get the feeling it is a bit more technical...). There are a whole load of other CMS systems available for free, of varying complexity and use. Bigwebmaster.com has a good list, though not exaustive by any means. A better list is on SourceForge.net. Typo3 is a pretty extensive CMS, but it's pretty technical for the person administrating it, though easy for a business user...

But... I digress...

If you don't know much about web development, I recommend not using a CMS at first. They certianly make things easier by doing many tasks in an automated fashion that you would have to do by hand without such a system.. However, until you've actually HAD to do those sorts of tasks, it's hard to appreciate the convienience... it's also hard to actually learn how to do those things.

HTML is very easy... but only if you actually do the HTML. You'll never learn good HTML skills by using Dreamweaver or the like. If your just starting out... DON'T USE A WYSIWYG TOOL! Go download TextPad or EditPad or another Text-Only editor, and start writing your site the old fashion way. If you don't, you'll never really know how to do it and the first time you need to do something that your WYSIWYG tool can't do, or the first time you realize that your code is only viewable in IE, you won't have a clue how to fix it since it... Learn the code, it will make everything that is web MUCH easier for you in the long run.

.c
  • kanexpo
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just downloaded xoops and it is indeed quite difficult. I got it up on my page already satana.shukun.com

But it just won't do what i wish. Maybe i might try postnuke.

btw, does anyone know if i can edit xoops manualy with the index.php file or any other file?

cheerz
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can try Cute News ( http://www.cutephp.com ) Or do like I once did, make a .txt file, chomd it 777, and make/use a WYSIWYG script, or edit it on your HD, then use an upload script excicutible from your broswer, and upload. Lots of work tho :p
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, you can edit it, but I wouldn't advise it unless you really know what you're doing. Anyway, keep a backup if you start fiddling with things.

CMS systems make certian tasks very easy, but at the cost of a level of flexibility. You have to decide whether the tools and easy of use provided by a CMS outweights your need for unlimited flexibility for your site. If it does not, then a CMS is not for you.
.c

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts