•  
    no!!

Im a noob to html and need help

• omegavb
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Guam

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok on my site im using the <div> commands so to seperate links from main site. but when viewed on smaller moniter or the internet explore window is made smaller the links are over the title the link to my site is
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/hmlifeforever
if you can help me keep the links and the main part seprated it would be helpful or if you have a better way to do it i would really like to hear.

Heres the code
---------------------
<div STYLE="width :20%;float : left">
(((then all my links are here)))
</div>

<div STYLE="width :60%;float : right">
(((all of my main site stuff)))
</div>
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• the_real_tisse
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • the_real_tisse
  • Loc: Belgium

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there

I'm just wondering, why are you using that font size? It is rather very big imho. Changing that would fix your problem.

But, watch out with using percentages for all divs. Another thing I would like to ask you, why div? I bet it would be easier to use tables instead. But, again with fixed size for the link part.

kind regards
Tisse
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might refer to the samples from this site...

http://glish.com/css/
  • lslars31
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • lslars31
  • Loc: Minesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

also you might try tables. For more information on learning tables check out http://w3schools.com
  • thevirus
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • thevirus

Post 3+ Months Ago

w3schools taught me all I know. I remember the days of angelfire o wait that was just a month ago :( . Well what do you expect when you have a zero budget till christmas. I also suggest tables, learning to use tables is how you become a good website designer. But dont take that up as a profession there are already to many web designers around
  • eyehut
  • eyehut
  • Loc: Philly

Post 3+ Months Ago

Basically what everybody said was right. You should use tables instead. It's a lot more simpler and you can get more of what you want.

BTW, another link to learn some information on tables is http://www.lissaexplains.com. It's a site for younger people to learn HTML...and I'm not ashamed to say that I learned a lot from this site. It's very easy to understand, and it's very helpful.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, for a 2 column percentage based (liquid, stretchy, full width) layout, CSS is far more efficient.

Tables are not more simpler by any stretch of the imagination. It is using a technology for something that it wasn't designed for - forcing it, in fact. Yes, I did this for years while waiting for a better way. CSS is that better way.

The transition from the old (tables) to the new (CSS) is well underway with web developers around the world. I wouldn't wait around to become proficient with CSS, if I were any of you. Don't believe me? Go to http://www.espn.com/ with a current browser, view the source, and you'll see that for an extremely complex (dynamically driven) page, they've used tables ONLY where it was absolutely needed. Those tables that were used, were also placed in div containers so they could be managed by style sheet definitions.

Further, with the advent of the XHMTL standard, which is aimed at transitioning development to XML/XSL standards, learning the proper use of CSS is completely necesarry.

Tables were designed (only) to display tabular data. They were not designed as a layout tool. That technique is only a bastardization of the table object.

Tables cause a tremendous amount of extra code. This is not only true in static pages, but even more true in dynamic ones.
With a properly implemented style sheet, I can make a single page that displays correctly in: all current browser, older browsers (NS 4.08 as an extreme example), PDA's/Digital devices, Accessability tools for the blind and deaf, etc. I can also make that same page print in only black and white without any graphics, all without creating another version of the page. This page that I can make will also be read, and therefore indexed, far more efficiently by crawlers like Googlebot. Why? Because of the lack of extraneous code.

I can build a single style sheet for a web app that is deployed to any number of people, anywhere around the world, that uses any backend language, and completely redesign the 'look and feel' of it, by editing ONE DOCUMENT, ONLY.

In some browsers, a table and ALL of its content has to be downloaded before the first pixel is displayed. Not with CSS. The elements can be displayed as soon as they are received by the browser.

I am not trying to start a pissing contest here. This is not a flame post. I have worked with client side web technologies since '96, and I have a pretty strong understanding of the subject. I think you all are doing yourselves a tremendous injustice by adhering to the idea that "tables are better". You can certainly ignore this advice, but you really shouldn't.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

btw: omegavb, did you ever figure out your problem?
  • eyehut
  • eyehut

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow...you've made me feel so tiny...
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

that wasn't my intention. sorry.
  • eyehut
  • eyehut

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's okay. I know my skills aren't up to par. I need to start learning some more things.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

:)

I've been in this industry for years and I've yet to stop learning.
  • eyehut
  • eyehut

Post 3+ Months Ago

Haha, yeah. But I'm waaayyy behind. I need to at least attempt to catch up. Haha.
  • chaoskid03
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • chaoskid03
  • Loc: Not in Kansas any more

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think that is a mest up backround. Ask some one if they know about a site that has free emplates u can download.
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

josh that has been posted about before. the templates. at least
  • yellow
  • yellow

Post 3+ Months Ago

try to float the 2nd div to the left, not right. if you want some space, add some padding.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts