Online Shopping Carts

• TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a product I will be selling online. This is my first time selling anything online. If I wanted to design my own shopping cart, how can I be certain it is certified? I've been looking over some sites that allow me to accept credit cards, etc. i.e. Authorize.net -- Where they mention having a certified shopping cart. My cart doesn't need to be all that complicated, and I feel capable of coding everything I need. Anyone have experience and can give me a few pointers?

A checklist of standards would be nice. And information about setting up secure transactions for credit card information. Doesn't the authorize.net service provide this secure transaction?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just talked GoDaddy, they said all I needed was an SSL Certificate and I can then make my own shopping cart. I asked about any standards I had to follow, but they didn't seem to think there were any. I'd assume proper use of php sessions and https for starters.

So as long as I have a merchant who accepts CCs and eChecks, we can provide them the proper information for the transaction to take place. Guess I'm waiting to see what they require of me. I'm on a deadline, so hopefully I won't have to go with one of those cheesy carts.

I'll be using PHP, CSS, Javascript and AJAX for my cart design. I think I can put something together over the weekend.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

SSL is just an encryption between the client and your server. How secure your actual cart is completely in your hands and theres no standards to using it. You can get SSL for free, it just wont be a trusted certified. (The browser wont automatically accept it. It will warn the user and require them to acceept it manually)

I'm not 100% but my guess is any payment gateway would require a certified SLL Certificate.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why do you "need" to build your own? Its a lot like reinventing the wheel for your first foray into online selling. Why don't you use a prebuilt solution like Google Checkout or PayPal? Both of those have the security stuff already figured out and pay for their own SSL Cert, etc.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts