Open-source Web Design Solution

• alderash
  • alderash

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I work for a school district, and we are looking for an open-source solution that will enable our 900+ teachers to have their own personal website. I checked out Nvu, but it looks like the product was forked into Kompozer a couple of years ago. Kompozer looks okay, but it froze up on me a few times, and I don't want to roll out a solution to 900 staff members only to have it regularly lock up on them.

Can you suggest a solid open-source Web design tool?

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

900+ teachers with their very own website? That sounds like a terrible flaw in thinking. :lol: j/k

I think you should look for a CMS solution, personally. I think if you give that many people a WYSIWYG solution, you're going to spend a great deal of time fixing problems and answering questions. :my2cents:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

One of our members is developing EasySite.
http://www.zenorsoft.com/viewforum.php?f=4

It's still in Beta, but when I was checking out the Alpha for him, it seemed easy and straightforward. Don't know if you'd have any interest in a beta for 900 teachers but you might want to give it a look.
  • alderash
  • alderash

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
900+ teachers with their very own website? That sounds like a terrible flaw in thinking.

Well, that's what they've been used to for almost 7 years now. Up until this time, they've all been using FrontPage to design their sites, but now that FP has gone away and the new licensing costs for Expression Web are so prohibitive, we are looking at open source solutions instead. Teachers like the flexibility and creativity that comes along with designing sites that are not part of a CMS template environment.

** Can you suggest any open source WYSIWYG web design programs?
** Can you suggest any CMS solutions?

Thank you
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just to clarify - does each of these 900+ have access to their own, individual site, or are they collectively creating "their own" site.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just did a quick search. This was the first I looked at, and it looks pretty promising.

http://lenya.apache.org/

If that doesn't foot the bill, try this search in Google
open source multi website wysiwyg
  • alderash
  • alderash

Post 3+ Months Ago

They each have their own personal account on our Web server with an individual site. And just to clarify, there are 900 teachers here of which only half have sites at the present time. The goal is to get as many teachers as possible to have an online presence.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

If they each have their own website, I would not suggest that they each develop the site themselves ... it's going to be a mess ... what do each of them have to be able to do their page?
  • alderash
  • alderash

Post 3+ Months Ago

But they each already do develop a site themselves, and it's not a mess. We're just looking for alternative low-cost open source solutions to MS products.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're a school, that means you had to pay for FrontPage. If you paid for it, can't you still use it? I know support has ceased, but if they are already familiar with the program...
  • alderash
  • alderash

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, we can still use FrontPage, and we do - considering we currently have 300+ active FP sites. We're just looking for alternative solutions to integrate for the next school year.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It seems to me that most any WYSIWYG editor is going to have FTP capabilities. So, is it the server side extensions and bots you're interested in?
  • alderash
  • alderash

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd like something with a site manager feature, since most users will be importing their existing FrontPage site into the new application. (I realize this will likely break or compromise the FP Extensions.)

I'd also like the new tool to keep their FP sites as intact as possible and let them continue to modify this existing site.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the link atno.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:

Thanks Rose. It appeared at first that everyone else missed it.
  • alderash
  • alderash

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
musik wrote:

Thanks Rose. It appeared at first that everyone else missed it.

Sorry ATNO, I didn't miss it, I just have some reservations about rolling out a product that's still in a testing phase to such a large group of people. Whichever tool we choose will be ghosted onto 7,700 district computers, so I want to make sure it's fully tested first.

I will definitely have a look at it, though.

Thank you
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

The link I think you overlooked was the second one. This one isn't a beta.

ATNO/TW wrote:
I just did a quick search. This was the first I looked at, and it looks pretty promising.

http://lenya.apache.org/

If that doesn't foot the bill, try this search in Google
open source multi website wysiwyg
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

have you thought about rolling out a more full featured CMS like http://www.joomla.org/ with predefined templates and content areas. You'd lose all the existing sites, but it seems to me that while having a custom built website (even one built with frontpage)is nice, its actually hindering your goal of acceptance.

My wife is a teacher and even though she's capable of building her own site via frontpage or even hand coded html, she would say that there are many more important uses of her time. IE, why should she spend time she doesn't have to build a website instead of correcting tests, posting grades, braking up fights, calling parents, etc, etc, etc.

My point is that if you don't require people to build a site from the ground up and instead allow them to fill in content in a way thats about as easy as writing an email, you'll likely have a lot more people who are willing to make an effort.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy wrote:
have you thought about rolling out a more full featured CMS like http://www.joomla.org/ with predefined templates and content areas. You'd lose all the existing sites, but it seems to me that while having a custom built website (even one built with frontpage)is nice, its actually hindering your goal of acceptance.

My wife is a teacher and even though she's capable of building her own site via frontpage or even hand coded html, she would say that there are many more important uses of her time. IE, why should she spend time she doesn't have to build a website instead of correcting tests, posting grades, braking up fights, calling parents, etc, etc, etc.

My point is that if you don't require people to build a site from the ground up and instead allow them to fill in content in a way thats about as easy as writing an email, you'll likely have a lot more people who are willing to make an effort.

See posters original comments below:

alderash wrote:
digitalMedia wrote:
900+ teachers with their very own website? That sounds like a terrible flaw in thinking.

Well, that's what they've been used to for almost 7 years now. Up until this time, they've all been using FrontPage to design their sites, but now that FP has gone away and the new licensing costs for Expression Web are so prohibitive, we are looking at open source solutions instead. Teachers like the flexibility and creativity that comes along with designing sites that are not part of a CMS template environment.

** Can you suggest any open source WYSIWYG web design programs?

Thank you
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did read that, and also the rest of the question...
Quote:

I answered the second part of the question and backed it up with the reasoning of a better chance of accomplishing the goal of adoption across the district.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Point taken, my apologies graphixboy :D
  • alderash
  • alderash

Post 3+ Months Ago

graphixboy wrote:
I did read that, and also the rest of the question...
Quote:

I answered the second part of the question and backed it up with the reasoning of a better chance of accomplishing the goal of adoption across the district.

I totally agree with the CMS thinking and I ran it by our IT Director, but she still doesn't want to take creative control away from the teachers now that they've had it for so long. She's focused on finding an open source Web design program for now.

I still can't find anything better than Kompozer. Thoughts?
  • Devil_666
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Albany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go with Joomla and learn from it's tutorials.

Joomla an open source

Joomla tutorials with visual examples

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 23 posts