Opera and other browsers

• lomilmand
  • Student
  • Student
  • lomilmand
  • Loc: Bournemouth, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

After a few sessions of play-time with browsers, I have come to decided that opera is my favourite despite the advertising. What I wan't to clear up is - is it safe.

I know IE is not generally considored the safest browser available, but I want to be sure im not looking at something just as bad or unsafe (if my first assumption is correct).

So all you Opera/other browser users out there. How are your browsers for you, and are they all generally considored safe.

(I do have a firewall and anti-virus system set up, but theres nothing wrong with a bit of extra back up) :wink:

Thanks...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lomilmand
  • Student
  • Student
  • lomilmand
  • Loc: Bournemouth, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are there athers out there who have come to grips with the Opera adds, or have you go ahead and bought the full program?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The full version is relatively cheap. If you want it as your default browser, it's probably worth elliminating the annoyance of the ads to pay the registration price. I quit using it other than testing and I never went beyond version 5.2 because it's still a bit buggy with how it displays and Firefox is free and works very well. I do like Opera - don't get me wrong...but it's more of a browser that techies use and the general public is NOT going to pay for a browser when they can get one just as good for free.

I suspect you'll be getting similar opinions about Firefox.
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

IE is, by far, NOT the safe browser you give it credit for being. IE has given over some of it's security for function and flash (not Flash).

This is evidenced by the newest round of security fears involving Browser Helper Objects (BHO's).

I use IE as my primary browser, but I don't look at anything but corporate sites with it (and Ozzu ;) ). Any questionable sites, are viewed in Opera.

Opera was once considered the MOST standards compliant browser. I don't think that's still true these days. It's hard to tell since all browsers (and their users) have long winded rhetoric about compliance.

As a user, I like Opera. It's got tabbed browsing(had before FireFox), it is secure from homepage hijackers etc., and if you can bare the ad (and I can easily), it's free.

As a developer, I get on my knees and thank the dear Lord that Opera doesn't have IE's market share. I'd hate to have to write HTML/CSS that appeased Opera first. LOL.

FireFox: yip-peee. hoo-rah. I'm still bitter about the NetScape 4.x series of browsers.

ATNO: If 5.2 is the most recent version you've tried (and you're interested) you should check out 7. It's come leaps and bounds from 5.2.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts