Outside links...

• Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you know if theres a way to show what links/sites are linked too your site? Its kinda hard to explain what I mean, sorry. Thanks for your help, if any. :roll: :wink:
  • Slushie
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Slushie

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but if you mean what webpages, or forums, have a link to your site then I do know what you mean.
All you have to do is check your Stat program on your website. That is if you have one. I use awstats. It has alot more features then webalizer, and it has a feature that tells you what sites have a link to yours.(As long as someone has pressed that link once.) It tells you that, and how many times it has been clicked.
If this is of any help, you can get AwStats for free at http://awstats.sourceforge.net/
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm, I'll see what I can do with this. Thanks for your help.
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Currently there are at least 54 pages linking to stolen kingdom.
Here is the list:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=n ... doms%2Enet

This is by no means accurate. Google is showing only a fraction of total sites linking to you, and randomly for that matter. But it gives you a hint. The way you find is by searching for

link:www.stolenkingdoms.net in google.

And good news btw, Altavista says that there are at least 355 pages linking to your kingdom. Good job.
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, cool trick. Thanks.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Look through some of the results of the search engine results, It looks like alot of them are being triggered by forum signatures/www buttons.

I'm extremely new to the traffic/search game but, I'm almost positive you'll get more meaningfull information from your logfiles than you will with a search engine. (I honestly don't see the point of knowing about anyone linking to the site if their address is absent in your logs... Other than detecting image theft)

The AWStats that slushie mentions looks pretty good, I like how they disable the realtime stats in the demo :lol:
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quite the contrary joebert. If a link is not indexed by search engines, specially google, it is useless IMO. I would never care for such links. 90% of my web traffics are generated by Google. So what gives?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Like I said I'm new to this :wink:

I understand being indexed, what I don't understand is what good knowing a page is linking to you is if it's not sending traffic to you ie leaving a trace in logfiles.

Oh well, guess I need to spend some time in the Google forum :)
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I am not opposed to the site in question sending me some traffic. I mean that getting a link from a normal site can send you only so many traffics. 10/20 hits a month? Probably less. But say the page he is linking from has some PR and is crawled by Google. Now he links to me with some good keywords as anchor text. My site's ranking in google SERP would jump dramatically. I could get hundreds of hits daily from google for those keywords, just because my link appears in his page with the keywords. Not to mention it could also icrease the overall PR of my site.

To get a link from a prominent site that stands on its own is quite different story though.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

So if you catch some links to you with potential to send major traffic as soon as they are indexed you could forecast need for more powerfull equipment or perhaps increasing stock of merchandise ect..

Short of someone stumbling across a diamond in the ruff, wouldn't you know that's going to happen before it does anyway ?
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's the whole point of SEO. You get people to link to you, the way it would benefit you. With the right keywords. That is why people buy links from high pr sites and do link exchanges. So the right links are in the right place when you want them.
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, whoa, thanks guys! quantumcloud: you seem to know a lotta bout google. Do you know a way to increase your sites unique hits?
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post in the google forum, that's where the google wizards are. :)
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Back to external links, what is the reason for using (like on Ozzu here) the following yellow prefix on external links - if log files can track linkage anyways?

http://www.mywebsite.com/exit.cgi?http://www.externalsite.com

I've also seen something like this...

http://www.mywebsite.com#http://www.externalsite.com

Is this more for my benefit or the external sites benefit?
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good question lionking. This is my understanding that this is a brilliant ploy played by the BIG W to prevent pepole from posting in the forum just to get some kool backlinks. Reduces the spam posts. As the external links begin with the self domain name, google would not count them as backlinks to your site. So no use spamming the forum that way. This is for none other then Ozzu's benefit.
  • lioness
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your response quantumcloud. I'm not 100% sure I understand the relevance of backlinks, or even what they are.

I'm guessing they're related to SEO... in that if a popular site has a link to externalsite.com then that helps externalsite.com's ranking? So by prefixing the external link with http://www.mywebsite.com# then the link from mywebsite.com does not count towards externalsite.com's SEO ranking?
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

You got that right king.
  • neksus
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

a backlink is a link from one site to another; all those links at the bottom of the ozzu forum are 'backlinks' to their respective owners.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts