My page loads funny while the content is loading

• Chaze
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: WebHost.pro

Post 3+ Months Ago

Once the content loads it's fine, but the page while loading starts from the side and squezes the page together. Rather then top to bottom like it should.

The page is dwhsdotnet It just started when I added more content in the sidebar.

I tried to take a screen shot of the loading process but I couldn't get it on time.

But the first time you load the page it does it every time.

Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Chaze
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since we cannot have external links I did screen shots.

while loading

Attachments:
555.jpg

After loaded:

Attachments:
555a.jpg
Moderator Remark: added attachments
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

What did you last add to the sidebar? Chances are you have something new that's stretching an element out and then a full render squeezes it back together as the style lays it out.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You must have fixed the issue... that isn't happening to me
  • Chaze
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

hostivedotcom/out.php/i21307_sidebar.gif

Here is where the new information is added, I haven't changed anything it still does it every time I open the page with a new cache.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's because your site is set up with a table. Your sidebar is in a cell of the table. Your sidebar loads before your content because it is positioned that way in your html. When your sidebar loads, the browser gives the column of the table containing the sidebar the amount of space that is needed to contain the content. Once the second column, the one with the body content in it, is loaded, both columns are resized to compensate each other. Finally, the two columns are adjusted once more when the browser calculates the "width" attribute of the columns.

This is a natural occurrence in tabular html, and I'm unaware of a way to keep it from happening. If you don't want this to happen, build your website with divs and stylesheets instead of tables. Tables, after all, are meant to hold tabular data, and are not intended to construct the layout of a website.
  • Chaze
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see, your are the third person to say I should move away from tables.

I will see if I can find a designer that can convert it for me.
  • thachi
  • thachi

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe you can't find someone to remove the tables, cause you are using the web for free, then you have to accept that the web is using your article or something else to make a fortune. Maybe you could pay for your own site to be tableless.
Just my opinion!
  • Chaze
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm totally confused thachi I spend thousands a month on the web. What do you mean?

I would like to solve the issue myself bu converting away from tables is too big of a job to learn on a production website. Although I am learning slowly on the side about this.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not really sure what they meant either. My guess is faulty translation to English - we get that occasionally. Just remember that you're fighting browser behaviors inherent to loading tables. You're on the right path. ;) If playing on the production site is a bit much, then now is the perfect time to set up development and QA clones to play with!
  • thachi
  • thachi

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, maybe I misunderstand your situation. which step have you done now ?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts