Passing the '#' symbol to the browser

  • CrypticGTX
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • CrypticGTX
  • Posts: 7
  • Loc: in my own world

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm using this Bounce Menu from http://www.faithornstudios.com/

I am having a little problem with trying to use anchor tags inside the XML. My XML skills are slim to none since this is the first time I’ve used it at all. I can not seem to get XML, or maybe it’s Flash, to pass the “#” symbol to the browser.

The first line (Liquid Rheostats) will just pass “products.html” to browser. The “#rheostats” just gets dropped.

So I tried using the
Code: [ Select ]
& # 0 3 5 ; (minus the spaces, it was getting parsed to the # sign)
which is the unicode (I think that’s what you would call it) for the # sign. That did the same thing as above.



Code: [ Select ]
    <button name = "Products">
        <subitem name = "Liquid Rheostats" location="products.html#rheostats"></subitem>
        <subitem name = "Controls" location="products.html]& # 0 3 5 ;controls"></subitem>
        <subitem name = "Switch Gear" location="products.html&#xA3;switchgear"></subitem>
    </button>
  1.     <button name = "Products">
  2.         <subitem name = "Liquid Rheostats" location="products.html#rheostats"></subitem>
  3.         <subitem name = "Controls" location="products.html]& # 0 3 5 ;controls"></subitem>
  4.         <subitem name = "Switch Gear" location="products.html&#xA3;switchgear"></subitem>
  5.     </button>


I tried using other characters which do seem to work. Example would be
Code: [ Select ]
products.html&#163controls 
or
Code: [ Select ]
products.html&#xA3;controls




Which both will render “products.html£controls” to the browser. So why doesn’t the # sign get passed through?



Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Nunzio390
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 70
  • Loc: Tharsis Ridge (Martian lowlands)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Typing this...
& #035;

will generate this character...
#

Do not seperate & and #035; above with a space, as I have done. I had to do it that way because this board kept parsing the character, regardless of whether or not I disabled HTML. Using the board code tags were of no help either.

So... have you tried the above yet?

Also, have you checked out the FAQ, as well as this page at the author's site?
  • Nunzio390
  • Student
  • Student
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 70
  • Loc: Tharsis Ridge (Martian lowlands)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Doh!!!! :shock:

Disregard the first part of my post above. I didn't fully read yours. You have already done that. Sorry.

I'd visit the author's site and ask for help there if I were you. I'm certain he's run across this problem before and will probably have an answer for you.
  • CrypticGTX
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • CrypticGTX
  • Posts: 7
  • Loc: in my own world

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didnt catch that 2nd FAQ. Just tried it and the same thing.

I also made sure I saved my XML file as "UTF-8" in notepad.
  • CrypticGTX
  • Newbie
  • Newbie
  • CrypticGTX
  • Posts: 7
  • Loc: in my own world

Post 3+ Months Ago

OMG! I am so ticked...

I uploaded the file to my webserver becuase I was going to work on it at home. And now it works fine!

It would not work with the files local. I have no clue why!

man I wasted an entire Sunday trying to figure this one out.

Thanks for the help anyway. 8)

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 67 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.