PDF loading issue

• x-i-n-v-u-x
  • Born
  • Born
  • x-i-n-v-u-x

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I'm new here. I'm working on a website right now and I have problems with the PDF files. I put two PDF files on my site, one is about 40MB and the other is about 54MB. My problem is: sometimes the files won't load up and if they do load, it takes at least 5 minutes to load it. Is there anyway I can speed up the loading?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

by making them smaller? I don't know how you created the PDF's but when your using Acrobat (or other Adobe apps) there is a drop down for quality settings. Use the "web" option to compress them way down.
  • x-i-n-v-u-x
  • Born
  • Born
  • x-i-n-v-u-x

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey graphixboy, thanks for replying but if i change the quality settings, doesn't that change the quality of the pictures also? because my PDF files are image heavy.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes it does change the quality but thats the trade off. You have to decide if you want your PDF's to download in a reasonable amount of time (50mb is still huge when it comes to the web). I'd try to get file sizes well below 10mb and even then it will still be slow on a lot of web connections. Your other option is to split the PDF's into parts so you can get the sizes smaller.
  • kshines_01
  • Born
  • Born
  • kshines_01

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can start by decreasing the size of the images, meaning using the save for web option in photoshop and then loading them into the document and creating the pdf. That may help with the overall size.
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could try changing the design a little bit as well. The physical dimensions of images have a huge impact on their data size. It might be worth it to look into using smaller images on the page and doing everything you can to use vector content (stuff that came out of illustrator, indesign, etc should be included in the pdf as an eps or ai file instead of a jpeg/png/tiff/psd). If you can use vectors, for example a logo that appears on each page there's a lot less data required to recreate the image properly.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts