Php Nuke

• kanexpo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Geneva, Bangkok

Post 3+ Months Ago

y0

I've installed php nuke on my webpage, and currently studying it. I have found it to be very useful (Login, personal message, downloads, polls etc) But one thing irritates me very much. It's very hard to personalize.. i can only modify it on my website (i think so) its not that i can acctualy download the index.php file and then personalize it how i desire.

Or can i do taht? i like php nuke. i think its ok, ready made webpage
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes you can. You'll have to go through the PHP line by line to rewrite the HTML lines. You won't find the HTML in one PHP file either.

In PostNuke (which is a development fork to PHPNuke), there'a file that holds the DOCTYPE, another for the HEAD, another for the body, etc.

It's tedious work, but both of these packages are completely customizable, aesthetically.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

PHPNuke/ PostNuke don't run off of templates?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sure they do...but the only part of those templates that I'm interested in is the back end. The client side stuff gets completely ripped out first, for me.

That's what I call personalizing, anyway.
:D
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

They use templates, but the definition of a template is a little different than one might expect. The consider a given page to be comprised of a Theme that conatins many different templates, each of which contains many different blocks. I define a template as a whole page that contains structured content and part of the template is the theme... It's something you have to get used to.

I consider PostNuke superior to phpNuke, but then, I only messed around with phpNuke for less than an hour before I got frustrated and deleted it and started looking for something else (eventually my search lead me to PostNuke...).

.c
  • Ifrit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Portugal

Post 3+ Months Ago

Xoops is way much easier to customize ;)
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, but only if you know how to dig into it. I found the support around Xoops to be pretty technical. That didn't much bother me, but for someone that barely knows what CMS stands for, it could be pretty daunting. PostNuke is used by so many kiddies these days that help for the masses is readily available, since in addition there are many very knowledegable people developing bits for it who, for the most part, have a measure of patience for the less technically endowed, which is a very nice feature for a community to have (sort of like Ozzu, actually). That's why I tend to recommend PostNuke a lot. I realize there are a number of technically *better* options available, I just found the PN community and documentation to be very helpful. Not to mention, if you are good at PHP and web dev in general, PN can be made to do anything, you're not at all constrained by the standard cookie cutter Themes and templates, so the simplicity in the front can be overcome as you learn...

.c
  • Sumen
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Rochester or Albany, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used to use PostNuke for a bit, and I liked it a lot more than PHPNuke, but I think the best free CMS is e107
Its simple and really powerful.
Plus the community is friendly.
Its easy to set up, requires no experience, and can also be easily customized for advanced users.
Oh well..
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ifrit wrote:
Xoops is way much easier to customize ;)

agree 100% with that
the main theme that comes with it consists of about 5 images and 5 html files lol
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use PostNuke on a lot of my sites - have done for a couple of years now. It's a great system, incredibly SE-Friendly with some minor tweaking (once you figure out how to do that tweaking), and is extremely easy to completely customize (again, once you figure out how). :)
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just tried uploading postnuke, then canceled after I had uploaded 1404 files in 200+ directories. That's disgusting.
  • djallan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • djallan
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

The basics of modifying PHPNuke template system is laid out pretty well here ...
http://www.flashnukers.com/modules.php? ... &func=main

It's really not that complicated.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer

wget
tar -zxvf

Who needs FTP? ;)
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
b_heyer

wget
tar -zxvf

Who needs FTP? ;)

hehehee, I'm a believer! ;)
  • Ifrit
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Portugal

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have used phpnuke, postnuke, and xoops, in that order.

Insight:

Phpnuke: The best of them all in many aspects, only thing is, from my experience, i found it so hard to costumize it's appearance, even with support.. i mean, even if you got great support, wouldnt it be better if you could do it with no support? I mean its only logical that a guy wants to: install > costumize > open to public, instead of: install > post a question about the process of customizing the site > customize > mess up and keep asking questions to the support forum > finally get it done > open to public. That's how i see it.

PostNuke: Again, great tool, i never understood why people made postnuke.. it's like, a phpnuke with a different name o.o atleast that's how i felt while using it, only thing is, its alot easier to
customize.

Xoops: The small guy in the lot, but, the support forum is great! And i got very few question posts there, why? because xoops is very straightforward and really simple, you can have a whole template using only _one_ html file, only thing you need to know is where to place the variables for the cms to apply on the html file, that's great if you ask me.

Here's my xoops site: http://www.digihiatus.vze.com, i'm in process of finishing it and start to add content, the themes have 1 html file, and 3 css files each for a different browser, and a cople of images, that's it ;>
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

from what i have learnt and i have had a play with all these cms's and more, is that every cms has limitations on how much you can modify from within the cms. if you want full customisation you will have to get your hands dirty ;-) and modify the (template, theme etc) pages yourself. this will require a good knowledge of how that cms works.

so basically with any cms you can do what you want, but to do need to work outside the cms to get full customisation. generally ;-)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ifrit wrote:
PostNuke: Again, great tool, i never understood why people made postnuke.. it's like, a phpnuke with a different name o.o atleast that's how i felt while using it, only thing is, its alot easier to
customize.

Under the hood, they're two completely different animals.

PostNuke is much more advanced than PHP-Nuke. But that's what you get when hundreds of people are collaborating together working on it, rather than just a single person.

That's why PHP-Nuke got forked into PostNuke. It's just one guy working on it not listening to what the people, who actually use it, want.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts