phpBB help

• butlerboy99
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a website with a forum all ready to go, but I cant figure out how to create a mysql database. I know my host allows it, and I know how to create one. My problem is that my host allows many different types of ODBC drivers, and I can't figure out which one I need to use, what to enter in the "add" page, and which entries correspond to the install page for phpBB. I copied the pages from my webserver and fixed all the links, so you can look at what I'm trying to do. I only included pages for SQL Server, MySQL, and MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver, so those are the only one that the links work on. I posted the pages here, and any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your host should provide the means to create your database. The phpBB default name for the database is forumdata. Create a MySQL database named forumdata. Your host should also provide the option to add an authorized user for the database. Create a user and password. Then edit your config.php file to make any adjustments to the database name, username and password. Then upload the edited config.php file to your server and run it. That should update everything in less than 2 seconds. You should be ready to roll. There should be no need for ODBC drivers or anything as it is not a DSN-less connection.

If you need to choose, choose a mySQL database.

All this is spelled out very clearly in the install instructions that come with phpBB2
  • butlerboy99
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

what I was looking for was someone to look at http://ferndaleband.org/americandiscount/odbc.html and tell me which one to choose, and what to enter in all of the slots. I'm having lots of trouble getting all the general instructions right, so I was looking for very clear and direct help. I have already looked at the intall manual, and it got me as far as I did. I started this project not even knowing about odbc or mysql.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK -- I thought I was clear, but now I see what you want.

Choose MySQL

I have no clue what to tell you to put in the DSN field - I don't know what they are looking for there.

For the server just type "localhost" (withought the quotation marks)
For the database type "forumdata" w/out the quotes
Description - whatever you want.

See if it will create it without the DSN -- if it doesn't check the help or FAQ's at the host and report back what they are looking for there.

That's probably the most ellaborite way to create a database I've ever seen.

Then in the config.php, you should be able to just leave all the defaults.

It would be preferable if they allowed you the ability to create a user and password for the database, but in those form fields that option is not available. Perhaps some other place.
  • butlerboy99
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

the dsn, as far as I can tell, is simply the name of the database. The company itself has absalutely no support, and no help forums or knowledge base. They have a spot for one, but it's completely empty. I guess thats what you get when your host is American Discount Web Hosting!
  • butlerboy99
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

ah, it says on the installation page, Database Server Hostname/ DSN on the very first field, is this possibly what they're looking for?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

DSN shouldn't be required for a SQL database. This from my own host's instructions for the field:

Quote:
This field is for choosing the data source name you wish to use. A DSN is essentially a symbolic link on the server pointing to your database file. This field is not required for SQL.

You should be able to create a SQL database without a DSN.

All phpBB2 needs to know is the location of the host of the SQL server which by default is typically localhost, the name of the database, which you need to create forumdata, and an authorized user and password for the database. If you don't have the option to create an authorized user the default user and password info in the config.php file should access the database.
  • butlerboy99
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, it says on the top of the installation page, If you are installing to a database that uses ODBC, e.g. MS Access you should first create a DSN for it before proceeding. When I'm creating a MySQL Server, it's under the ODBC section, so maybe that has something to do with it. My server wont allow me to create a MySQL Database without a DSN. Should I create some sort of Microsoft server like MS Access or Ms SQL Server?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not sure what to tell you. I just checked the SQL ODBC 3.51 Driver link and I see that one allows you to set up a user. I'd try it first, without the DSN, and set up the user and password and see if that works without the DSN. (SQL shouldn't require an ODBC Driver -- Access needs that, but not SQL)

If that doesn't work, try typing in forumdata in the DSN field and see if that works.

After that I'm out of ideas.
  • butlerboy99
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, I've tried multiple SQL types, and I've swichedd all the fields around in every combination I can think of. I'll see if I can get a hold of the company. Thanks for your time and help, though
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

As a side thought -- localhost is typically the default host for sql server, but some hosts are set up to use db.yourdomainname.com (or org or net, whatever)

I just encountered that last week.

You may want to try that for the host if all ese fails.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just noticed...you have an option to turn ODBC service off at the top...what happens when you do that. Do you get different options?
  • butlerboy99
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

shutting odbc off simply closes all options and deactivates any databases I have created
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

That sucks.
Sorry...did the best I could. Surely they have to have something somewhere to tell you what to do with that DSN field.

Best of luck. I can't think of anything else.
  • butlerboy99
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, I managed to find a support email address, so I'll see if they have any answers
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*duh...just reread that. You've created other databases? What did you do different there, and how are you connecting to those? And are they SQL or Access?
  • butlerboy99
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

i tried to create db using the information you gave me, but I cant get phpBB to connect to them for whatever reason.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

What of the other databases you created. You insinuated that you were succesful in creating others (or at least implied that you had others). Don't worry about the connection for the moment...if you have other SQL databases that work for other things what did you do to create them?
  • butlerboy99
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

i created the databases for trying to connect of phpBB, thats all. None of them were ever actually used by any sort of program. In fact, when I tried turning ODBC off, they were deleted. I can create them ,thats not a problem.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK...you can PM me if you need to keep the entries private, but what are you entering in to create them? phpBB2 works off mySQL so let's start there. If I can't figure it out in PM are a ton of folks around here that use phpBB that can probably add some thoughts...So if you can provide info on the main board that won't compromise your security that would be preferable.
  • butlerboy99
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just to let you know, my webhost replied to my email, and told me that he needed to upgrade my account for phpBB, and would do so shortly. It ends up, the website has an option for addind phpBB specifically.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's cool. Glad that one worked out.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts