[solved :D] phpBB: No "new topic" button

• Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everyone,

I've never had to install a forum for one of my clients before and based on several opinions i chose to go for phpBB.

I've installed it and everything seems to work ok, except for the "New Topic" button, I can't find it anywhere, it just isn't there.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Some details:
phpBB: version 3.0.4 (released 2008-12-12, the newest stable release)
PHP: version 5.2.4

Thanks! :D
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

The first thing you want to check is the permissions for the new forum. I believe with the default theme and most freely available themes, the new topic button will not show if the person does not have permission to start threads in that forum.

I also believe that the default permission mask used when creating new forums is rather restrictive.

I'm actually integrating some equipment my neighbor gave me into my home network right now so I don't have a phpBB3 installation I can use to confirm/walk-through at the moment.
Maybe the permission mention will let you know where to look, if I don't see anything in this thread after my network is stable again I'll look into it further. :)
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply, I will look at the permissions, but I don't really think that's the problem, because I'm logged in as Admin, but you never know :)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just logged in using the account first administrative/founder created when the forum the forum was setup, and created a new forum that does not inherit permissions from any other forums.

The default permissions made it so that I didn't even see the forum on the index, let alone see a new topic button.

In the ACP, under the "Forums" tab, within the "Forum Permissions" section linked to on the left sidebar menu, you'll see a "Select a forum" box on the right.

Select the forum you're having problems with from that box and click "submit".

In the resulting screen select the group you want to have creating new topics (probably "Registered Users") from the list on the right.
If permissions exist for this group already it will be the top box, and if not it will be the bottom box.

Either way you'll be clicking an "Edit permissions" or "Add permissions" button.

In the resulting screen, either select a role such as "Limited Access + Polls", or click "Advanced" on the right and check yes next to the "Can start new topics" permission.

If that's not it, I'm not sure what it could be past some sort of funky change to your template files.
  • Fabinator
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Fabinator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It works now!!
Thank you so much joebert! :D
  • MOGY
  • Born
  • Born
  • MOGY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Joebert

I've used the above mentioned steps to solve the problem... I still cannot post any items...

PLEASE HELP...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

MOGY, are you using a customized style/template ?

I've left myself in a situation where I had to copy one of the new topic links from an existing forum, then change the ID in it so I could make the first topic in the forum. Once I had a topic in the forum the new topic button would show up and I could create new topics normally.
  • MOGY
  • Born
  • Born
  • MOGY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Joebert

Yes I'm using a customized template. I did,however, manage to get it to work by doing the following:

1. I went to the imageset directory , copied the "en" directory and created "en_us" directory.

I think that the issue is when you install it using "fantastico deluxe"(application used to install phpBB3 on remote servers)
it expects the language directory to be USA english ...im not sure on that though...Im just glad that it worked when I created the "en_us" directory under the imageset directory.

I want to delete my installation and start from scratch (to explore your solution). I haven't thought of using links to solve my problem.

Thanks Joebert! :-)
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

From your description, it sounds like it was just missing the images used for reply/new-topic/etc buttons. I don't think what I mentioned in my last post is going to apply at all in this situation. :)

It's been so long since I've setup a phpBB3 forum, I'm not sure why it would want you to use en_US.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts