Placing a DIV over Flash

• Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, i remade the flash movie, blah blah blah so on and so forth... this isnt a mozzilla problem anymore, but this is where everything relating to the damn clip is going on so i just figured id ask this here...

so i have this flash clip... but there is this div i need to appear on to of it... and im not sure how to set the order? is this even possilbe? if so how?
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You want to put a DIV over a flash presentation?
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

part of one, yes
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think you can, normally. There may be a work around but the Flash Player (ActiveX Control) doesn't assume a position in the noraml stack. It should just sit ontop of everything in the browser.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

digitalMedia wrote:
I don't think you can, normally. There may be a work around but the Flash Player (ActiveX Control) doesn't assume a position in the noraml stack. It should just sit ontop of everything in the browser.

But what's the workaround?

Survey Says......

Add:
Code: [ Select ]
<param NAME="wmode" VALUE="transparent">

as param in the the flash movie's Object tag, and DIVs and other layers will be able to jump on top of it.

Example:

http://www.care.org/careswork/index.asp

Scroll over Contact Us in the right navigation.

.c
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

survey says:

<a href="http://www.caffeinefuelled.net/richard-hotlink/lol.gif">nice one carnix :roll: </a>

//edit: sorry, but I was dubious how making something transparent would allow things to pass over it, I had to go and see :D
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

It doesn't work for you?

http://www.carnix.com/images/gallery/Ca ... 9_full.jpg

I've tested it on Mozilla (PC,RH9,Mac OSX), Safari (Mac), Netscape 6,7 (PC) and IE 5,6 (PC, Mac-5only). And it works as expected on all...

Not to mention, it's worked on at least a dozen machines across the country... since I after I added the param, I asked people in our fundrasing offices in check it as well... They're all on IE 6 for PC...

Strange...

.c
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Carnix wrote:
It doesn't work for you?

I've tested it on Mozilla (PC,RH9,Mac OSX), Safari (Mac), Netscape 6,7 (PC) and IE 5,6 (PC, Mac-5only). And it works as expected on all...

Not to mention, it's worked on at least a dozen machines across the country... since I after I added the param, I asked people in our fundrasing offices in check it as well... They're all on IE 6 for PC...

IE6 it works,

Netscape 7.1: no
Mozilla 1.6: no
Firefox 0.8: no
Opera 7: no
All windows

I happen to be doing compatibility checks on my own work at the mo so all my browsers are open.

It doesn't even go <b>transparent</b>, check the screenshot, you can see the coloured corner. Isn't there a second piece of code you have to put in for non-IE to get them to display flash transparent?
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

mmm... weird.
I went back and ran though my tests, and you're right, it doesn't seem to work on my Linux box. I though it did. However, it's working on my Mac and PC in all browser versions. I bet it's the Flash plugin for Linux isn't as robust as it is for PC and Mac.

That site gets around 120 visits a month from *nix platforms that aren't spider's or crawlers (and probably half that number are mis-dentified as real users anyway...). It's not a site techies frequent, after all. It's a little weird to say, but I actually worry more about making the site Mac friendly (which is *mostly* is.. but not as good as I'd like it to be) than I am worried about Linux... About 8-10% of the traffic to the site comes from Mac users, which ends up being like 8,000+ visitors.
.c
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Excellent! :thumbsup:
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey! you don't have to be a techie to use linux! :-P
  • trankillooo
  • Born
  • Born
  • trankillooo
  • Loc: Italy

Post 3+ Months Ago

"your param element is for the object tag which is probably an activex component. you need to specify wmode as an attribute on the embed tag."

it works on MOZILLA (firefox), i just thought i'ld share what's found here:

http://osdir.com/ml/mozilla.devel.dom/2 ... 00021.html

Example will fully work also on mozilla for this page:

http://www.care.org/careswork/index.asp
  • AllanButton
  • Born
  • Born
  • AllanButton

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

This result comes up as no. 1 when I google'ed div over flash. So I thought I would dig up this almost 1 month old post with what worked for me.

I found the best way to include a flash object on a webpage and have it be standard compliant is to use deconcepts SWFObject javascript. Although this means javascript has to be enabled as well as flash, most of the time, I would hinder a guess at 99% of the time, people with flash installed, also have javascript enabled.

Once you have it setup, in order to set wmode to transparent, you modify your javascript flash include from this:

<script type="text/javascript">
  var so = new SWFObject("movie.swf", "mymovie", "400", "100%", "8", "#336699");
  so.write("flashcontent");
</script>
  1. <script type="text/javascript">
  2.   var so = new SWFObject("movie.swf", "mymovie", "400", "100%", "8", "#336699");
  3.   so.write("flashcontent");
  4. </script>

to this:

<script type="text/javascript">
  var so = new SWFObject("movie.swf", "mymovie", "400", "100%", "8", "#336699");
  so.addParam("wmode", "transparent");
  so.write("flashcontent");
</script>
  1. <script type="text/javascript">
  2.   var so = new SWFObject("movie.swf", "mymovie", "400", "100%", "8", "#336699");
  3.   so.addParam("wmode", "transparent");
  4.   so.write("flashcontent");
  5. </script>

This I think is the best way, because its standards compliant acording to w3, and it work in all browsers. Plus it lets me do other things that most other flash embed won't do, atleast to my knowledge. Like using express install!

Details on that site. I know I sound like an advertisement, but I just figured out the wmode thing today, and im still a little excited about it.

Take it easy!
- Allan Button.
codemonkeysinside.com
  • godmasterginrai1985
  • Born
  • Born
  • godmasterginrai1985

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello, I am having difficulty as well. Its quite odd, however, though my div appears to function well over the active flash content in all browsers when played on a mac. My div does not display in any browser on PC. It is very strange. I am assuming that there is something wrong with my object code. I have checked browser compatibility in DW and rechecked my code. I am stumped. I guess that my code is messy, however, despite that I do get things to work. There must be something I am overlooking, especially for IE, the problem is in the JS. Any help would be appreciated. The div is there on pc, its being covered up by the background flash content.

I can provide details if this thread is still active.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts