Positioning multiple elements using CSS

• Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I put together this example page to help describe what I need to do.

http://www.freewebs.com/coldcanuck/indectss.htm

Please copy and paste the URL since it refuses to work as a direct clickthrough.

Viewed using IE 6 and Firefox .8, the pages renders as intended...text links at the very top of the window, logo in the center, and the copyright/footer at the very bottom of the window (regardless of resolution)....however neither Netscape 7.1, Mozilla 1.4.1 nor Opera 7.23 render that page as desired.

It's paramount that the answer to my conundrum be viewable using older browsers as far back as Netscape 4.x, since the pages I do must be seen by the widest possible audience, not just those surfing with the newest version of IE.

I'm new to CSS positioning abilities, but I'm hoping that the answer is simple (and I don't mean using flash or too many images).
I spent some time using the Ozzu search feature, but was unable to find an answer that helped.

Can YOU help?

Cheers...

C.C.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Allow me to emphasise (since CC and I talked about this earlier today) the "resolution" aspect of this -- one of the goals he has is to make sure the "format" remains constant regardless of screen size and resolution (as well as the browser compatability). I didn't have the exact answer, but believe it could be done with positioning, but I won't have the opportunity to play with it myself until prabably later in the week.
  • LazyJim
  • Student
  • Student
  • LazyJim

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi, the image in the center of the page, will that ALWAYS be an image or do u need a site solution?

It's failry easy with CSS-P and the image can be placed by setting it as a bg.

With OLD browsers you would need to SCRAP CSS and go back to <tables>s! (as far as i can think anyway)
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

LazyJim wrote:
hi, the image in the center of the page, will that ALWAYS be an image or do u need a site solution?

I'm going to risk looking stoopid, and ask what you mean by "site solution"...flash, perhaps?

LazyJim wrote:
With OLD browsers you would need to SCRAP CSS and go back to <tables>s! (as far as i can think anyway)

I can use tables to center the image (left to right) in the window, but attempts to center the image top to bottom only work in some browsers.

I guess if it comes down to it, I could always use flash to do the trick, but I'd prefer not to have to resort to that, unless theres no other alternative.

Hmmmmm, perhaps two separate pages...one for the 4.x class and one for everything else....a nice redirect script, too...

It's an option, I suppose.

Thanks for responding

:)

C.C.
  • LazyJim
  • Student
  • Student
  • LazyJim

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry i meant to say "site layout solution" and I was trying to ask if it needs to cope with any block of HTML not just an image.

I think the current page can be recreated well without <table>s, but of course you will hae old-browser problems.

So, as yuo suggested I would make an alternative version of the site for old browsers...
on the index page you can have a message that says "You are using an old browser, please upgrade. Or click here to see the old-browser version." (that sort of thing)
I can tell you a couple of ways to display that message to the right people.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts