possible to pass referrer info via the back button?

• Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

if someone uses the back button and winds up back to your page is it possible to send referrer data back through there? possibly by diasallowing that page to cache? just curious

also you know how when you use target="blank" to open in a new page and it does not send referrer info well when does it still send referrer info if i hold the shift key down to open a new browser window for my link.. seems like it should do the same thing as blank target...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gadget Guru wrote:
if someone uses the back button and winds up back to your page is it possible to send referrer data back through there? possibly by diasallowing that page to cache? just curious

I believe the referrer info would be passed again as a header for everything that wasn't cached (since your browser would have to request it from the server again)

Gadget Guru wrote:
also you know how when you use target="blank" to open in a new page and it does not send referrer info well when does it still send referrer info if i hold the shift key down to open a new browser window for my link.. seems like it should do the same thing as blank target...

As far as I know in both of those cases the referer header should be passed correctly. The only instance I know when the referer info is not passed very much is when you try to open a new window using JavaScript.
  • ED
  • Student
  • Student
  • ED
  • Loc: Halifax

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
As far as I know in both of those cases the referer header should be passed correctly. The only instance I know when the referer info is not passed very much is when you try to open a new window using JavaScript.

that's right. in both of those cases you'd get the right info except if YOUR webpage was cached cause it wouldn't reload the page when you hit back.
The only time the referrer data is missing is when using window.open
  • Borrow -A- Geek
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

:idea:
Quote:
The only instance I know when the referer info is not passed very much is when you try to open a new window using JavaScript.

thanks for the info guys

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts