Printing my website crashes IE 6 and IE 7 on Vista and XP

• terinea
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've just come across a problem with one of my client websites. When they try printing the website in Internet Explorer 6 or 7 on either Vista or XP it crashes. I couldn't believe such a thing would be possible.

The website uses alot of transparency and because of this has some modifications to make it work in IE6.

I've searched high and low on the internet with no success. Does anyone have any ideas?

http://tinyurl.com/csgweb

Jamie
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Create a stylesheet especially for printing... like leave the minor images out and everything...

Than to import that stylesheet and have it be for printing... here is the code...

Code: [ Select ]
<link href="scripts/print.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="print" />
  • terinea
  • Born
  • Born
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hrm, I did something like that originally with no result. I will give it another bash tomorrow.

Thanks Jamie
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, hope that it fixes the issue. I suppose you know how to do that... correct?

To preview how it would look just click File > Print Preview :)
  • berto
  • Born
  • Born
  • berto

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was having the same issue with several people here in our company. The are printing to Gestetner printers. I was able to change the printer driver, and the crashes stopped happening! There is a proprietary printer language that Gestetner printers can use that seems to work better than the PCL printer language or the postscript printer language. This would probably apply to all ricoh, Lanier, and getstetner printers since they all use basically the same print language. You might want to try that if you have this issue with people accessing an internal site.

I am going to talk to our developers about trying to implement your style sheet solution.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts