Problems with iframes

• chrissyg
  • Born
  • Born
  • chrissyg
  • Loc: seattle WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello!

i'm working on a portfolio-type site which has a menu on one side and a window for the image on the other - i.e. you click the menu, you change the image. i built it with iframe, which i know is evil, but i don't know of any other way to target the window besides building the whole thing in flash. the problem is that the iframe disappears for a second when it loads, which is likely my fault for changing the background color and using some hefty photos, but it's irritating all the same.

does anyone happen to know:
a. if there's a way to make the iframe load faster, or
b. if it's possible to dispense with iframe altogether but keep the basic mechanics of the site the same?

it's at http://portfolio.britenow.com. (some links work, but some links don't.)

thanks!
  • Sulfin
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

It might load faster if you made the source code shorter, and it should load faster if you make this image smaller:
http://portfolio.britenow.com/portfolio_images/spots2.gif
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm not sure if you have made any changes but i tried viewing with mozilla and ie with different results, (frame issues and no images) you should try get it viewable in all browsers. i would ditch the iframe and use layers and maybe some server side includes for dynamic content???
  • chrissyg
  • Born
  • Born
  • chrissyg

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh, drat that ie. it looks alright on my mac ie v5.2 and on the ancient pc i tried, but mostly i've just been hoping everyone i need to send it to will have safari. have been working on it this evening, so that may be at least part of the problem.

can a link target a div? i was hoping to avoid refreshing the entire page for every link, but maybe that's being unrealistic...
  • DR01D
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah it sucks,

a link can target a div (make visible) which would avoid the page refresh, but content wise im not sure, maybe dynamic???
  • Sulfin
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I went on it and the images don't work because of the "." at the end of your link. Try this one:

http://portfolio.britenow.com
  • chrissyg
  • Born
  • Born
  • chrissyg

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh, right, i remember something like that from back in my goLive days. thanks! i'll do some investigating.

------

thanks for fixing the url, sulfin - i can never resist correct punctuation, even if it means broken links.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts