Problems with Netscape 7.0 & 7.1

• s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: NC, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I posted this in General Discussion area. Apparently noone there has half a brain.

So, I'm gonna see what happens here.

I'm currently having two seperate problems involving Netscape.

In Netscape 7.0, I'm having a problem with my masthead not loading. Sometimes it loads sometimes it doesnt.

In Netscape 7.1, I'm having a problem with the background color of the main frame bleeding into my top frame.

It should be noted that neither of these problems occurs in any other browsers that I'm aware of.

Any and all suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you talking about on pages you've created? or just anywhere you surf. Do you have a link to a specific page or pages, that's doing this?

P.S. - I deleted the duplicate in the general board. In the future, please don't crosspost in multiple boards. If you put it in the wrong place, just PM a mod that you see is online and we'll get it moved for you.

Thanks
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

This problem is occuring on pages that I have built. I would provide you with a link to the pages but they are password protected, and I can't provide you with the info necessary to view them.
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Real quick...one other thing.

Thanks for your reply, and also thanks for the warning about duplicate posts. In the future I will avoid such blunders in judgement!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry it took so long to get back to this. I've been out all evening. I see no one else replied. Hard to say what's wrong. OK --I understand the unwillingness to provide the link to the page.

If you can post the code here, that could be helpful. Without the code or the link to the page itself, to see what you're doing, I seriously doubt anyone here is going to be able to tell you what's wrong.
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your consideration. I believe I may have found the solution elsewhere. But, with my schedule I haven't been able to test it yet. But, I think I've found it. Seems that Netscape has decided to pad the top nav...thus pushing my links down...making it appear that the main frame is bleeding into the top frame.

But, thanks again for your willingness to take a look! I will definitely be back in the future. This site is full of some really awesome resources!

Thanks!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Glad to see you got it. We're glad to have you here. Hope you pop in regularly.
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

s15199d wrote:
I posted this in General Discussion area. Apparently noone there has half a brain.

Quite frankly, I think this comment was uncalled for.
There are a lot of well-meaning, friendly people that frequent ozzu.com, but the site is large and not every question or request gets addressed in what may be considered a speedy timeframe.

To insult anyone based on the fact that your needs weren't addressed is inappropriate.

Have a nice day, eh :)

C.C.
  • allgoodpeople
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: here

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cold Canuck wrote:
s15199d wrote:

Quite frankly, I think this comment was uncalled for.

C.C.

It also seems to me that the people "there" are mostly the same people "here" and "elsewhere" in this board. Remember, you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

Mark
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

The problem persists...I have a better handle on what precisely the problem is now though. The problem I am having w/ Netscape 7.0 and higher, is that the browser is adding a blank line at the top of the screen. This forces my top nav down. My main frame has a defined position on the screen. Therefor, the top nav is expanding(under the main frame), but being covered up by the main frame.

The result is that all of the links in my top nav aren't viewable, and my users can't see the links to click on them.

To all those concerned with my comments regarding the lack of knowledge held by the people in general discussion...I will remind you that it was an opinion. It was my opinion, and for lack of trying to come up with a better come back...I'm entitled to it.
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I should add one other thing, before I get these suggestions.

The page and all the appropriate frames are set topmargin=0 and marginheight=0
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

s15199d wrote:
The problem I am having w/ Netscape 7.0 and higher, is that the browser is adding a blank line at the top of the screen. This forces my top nav down.

The following is usually the style code I use to nudge images and/or text up top to eliminate that spaced look.

Code: [ Select ]
BODY     { FONT-SIZE: 10pt; COLOR: #C0C0C0; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; border-left: 0px ; border-right: 0px ; border-top: 0px ; border-bottom: 0px;}

I grant you, It's a lot of code for such a simple task, but it works in all browsers....and it passes CSS validation.

s15199d wrote:
To all those concerned with my comments regarding the lack of knowledge held by the people in general discussion...I will remind you that it was an opinion. It was my opinion, and for lack of trying to come up with a better come back...I'm entitled to it.

Feel free to exercize your opinion as you see fit, however...it's my guess that if you do continue to insult or badmouth those very people you seek help from, you will quickly find your needs ignored completely....thats just a guess mind you, but likely an accurate one.

Have a great day, eh... :)

C.C.
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will try the 0px method, and see what happens. Thanks for the post.

By the way...I am reconsidering my afore mentioned comments regarding "general discussion". And, I believe folks are right...should I desire to come to this page and recieve insight/help...I should respect and not diminish the intelligence of those willing to help.

Considering it's their knowledge that I'm seeking...by claiming they have half a brain...I'm in a way degrading my own intelligence...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

s15199d - nicely said. I was wondering if you were going to catch on to the fact that the ones in the General board with "half a brain" are also the same ones who provide the help everywhere else here. Let's consider it a dropped issue and move on. We're glad you're here. (P.S. -- you've probably figured out the general board is our "fun" board -- where we don't have to talk tech stuff if we don't want to. That's probably why you didn't get a response on your initial post there. If I had seen it, before you posted this thread, I'd have moved it here where it belonged anyway.)
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

*firmly grasping tongue*
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

:?
My problem with the top nav is persistant! I've tried everything...I tried the 0px suggestion. I've set EVERYTHING to marginheight=0 & topmargin=0. But, all to no avail. My top nav is still displaying a blank line within the frame. The frame itself is positioned correctly, but the material within the frame is all shifted down one line.

Does anyone have a clue? I'm officially stumped :?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I might have missed it. Do you have a link to the page you're talking about?
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't provide a link b/c the page is password protected. As far as the code I can show it to you, but it's a ton more than I'd want to post here.

I'll give you the top portion of the table in my top frame...if you need more just ask...I'll try and get it out here ASAP. I really think the problem lies in this code, not the code of my frameset, b/c that's real basic and all looks correct.

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" background="../images/Nav_TopBackground.gif" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">

<table border="0" height=53 CellPadding="0" CellSpacing="0" Align=left vAlign=top hSpace=0 vSpace=0 width="100%" marginheight="0" topmargin="0">
    <tr height=53 width=100% topmargin=0 marginheight=0>
  1. <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" background="../images/Nav_TopBackground.gif" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">
  2. <table border="0" height=53 CellPadding="0" CellSpacing="0" Align=left vAlign=top hSpace=0 vSpace=0 width="100%" marginheight="0" topmargin="0">
  3.     <tr height=53 width=100% topmargin=0 marginheight=0>
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should still probably check your frame code. I'm guesing the code you provided above is the "main" frame. Try posting your frame code here for folks to look at. You may have something in there that's causing the offset. Actually that's probably where the problem is.
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually that is the code from my top frame. Below is the frameset code you requested. I really would appreciate any help you or anyone could provide on this subject.

<FRAMESET ROWS="95,*" BORDER="0" FRAMEBORDER="NO" FRAMESPACING="0" MARGINHEIGHT="0" MARGINWIDTH="0" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0">
    <FRAME NAME="Masthead" SRC="MastheadSECU.ASP" SCROLLING="NO" FRAMEBORDER="NO" BORDER="0" MARGINHEIGHT="0" MARGINWIDTH="0" FRAMESPACING="0" NORESIZE style="border: 0px; none;">
  <FRAME SRC="FrameSet/FS_Body_SignOn.html" NAME="Body" SCROLLING="AUTO" NORESIZE BORDER="0" FRAMEBORDER="NO" FRAMESPACING="8" MARGINWIDTH="10" MARGINHEIGHT="8" style="border: 0px; none;">
</FRAMESET>
  1. <FRAMESET ROWS="95,*" BORDER="0" FRAMEBORDER="NO" FRAMESPACING="0" MARGINHEIGHT="0" MARGINWIDTH="0" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0">
  2.     <FRAME NAME="Masthead" SRC="MastheadSECU.ASP" SCROLLING="NO" FRAMEBORDER="NO" BORDER="0" MARGINHEIGHT="0" MARGINWIDTH="0" FRAMESPACING="0" NORESIZE style="border: 0px; none;">
  3.   <FRAME SRC="FrameSet/FS_Body_SignOn.html" NAME="Body" SCROLLING="AUTO" NORESIZE BORDER="0" FRAMEBORDER="NO" FRAMESPACING="8" MARGINWIDTH="10" MARGINHEIGHT="8" style="border: 0px; none;">
  4. </FRAMESET>
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

<FRAMESET ROWS="95,*" BORDER="0" FRAMEBORDER="NO" FRAMESPACING="0" MARGINHEIGHT="0" MARGINWIDTH="0" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0">
    <FRAME NAME="Masthead" SRC="MastheadSECU.ASP" SCROLLING="NO" FRAMEBORDER="NO" BORDER="0" MARGINHEIGHT="0" MARGINWIDTH="0" FRAMESPACING="0" NORESIZE style="border: 0px; none;">
  <FRAME SRC="FrameSet/FS_Body_SignOn.html" NAME="Body" SCROLLING="AUTO" NORESIZE BORDER="0" FRAMEBORDER="NO" FRAMESPACING="8" MARGINWIDTH="10" MARGINHEIGHT="8" style="border: 0px; none;">
</FRAMESET>
  1. <FRAMESET ROWS="95,*" BORDER="0" FRAMEBORDER="NO" FRAMESPACING="0" MARGINHEIGHT="0" MARGINWIDTH="0" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0">
  2.     <FRAME NAME="Masthead" SRC="MastheadSECU.ASP" SCROLLING="NO" FRAMEBORDER="NO" BORDER="0" MARGINHEIGHT="0" MARGINWIDTH="0" FRAMESPACING="0" NORESIZE style="border: 0px; none;">
  3.   <FRAME SRC="FrameSet/FS_Body_SignOn.html" NAME="Body" SCROLLING="AUTO" NORESIZE BORDER="0" FRAMEBORDER="NO" FRAMESPACING="8" MARGINWIDTH="10" MARGINHEIGHT="8" style="border: 0px; none;">
  4. </FRAMESET>

Drop these three variables down to zero and try the frameset again:
FRAMESPACING="8" MARGINWIDTH="10" MARGINHEIGHT="8"

C.C.
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll try that...sorry it's taken me so long to respond. My connection has been down for the past 2 days. Some cable got snapped under the weight of ice here...haven't had access since Wed.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 22 posts