Protecting Source Code

• ChoBo
  • Born
  • Born
  • ChoBo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello guys,
Recent ive dicovered alot of people are still my information, and layout on the site. Ive looked for ways to protect my source, but most of them you have to pay for. Recently i came to this site, and i found the shifting of character charAt(i), and I was wondering, if i could use that to *plum* and encode my source code.

My website that im trying to protect is http://www.overdosed.net

Thank you
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello and welcome to the forum. There is a little button up the top there that says "Search" and if you use that you would have found this:
http://www.ozzu.com/viewtopic.php?t=140 ... highlight=
:roll:
  • ChoBo
  • Born
  • Born
  • ChoBo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I dont see how that topic is goin to help, since even i can view the source code of that site. I think you have mis read my post, Im looking for way to encode the html source code, not hide it once, then after a refresh it becomes visible.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

actually, this is the link you need. But again, I searched for it and found it
in 2.4 seconds.

http://www.ozzu.com/viewtopic.php?t=674
  • ChoBo
  • Born
  • Born
  • ChoBo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ive read all of the topics, but most on discussion on how to protect the source code, but none actually show you how to protect the source code. :(

by protecting i mean learning how to scramble it.

Thanks
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you had read the URL that I gave you then you would have read that you CANNOT hide your source code. :roll:
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

my point of showing you the other threads is that it won't matter if you
scramble it. It will always be available to the world, and it's impossible
to hide it effectively.

There's other sites that can help you do this, some of which are listed
and named in those threads. But, you would know that since you read
them all. ;)
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

an idea i have been playing with for hiding source (i might make a product on this someday)

1. Where you would normally have the body of your document, just put <script language="javascript" src="some_script_located_somewhere.js.pl">
2. Get this perl script (or it could just as easily be php or something else) to print out a document.write containing whatever you want to appear on your site.

However, the trick is that the perl script is coded so that it will only provide the code if it is viewed from inside the correct HTML file, and not if someone just enters the path of the script in their browser adress bar. I don't know if this is possible but it's definately worth a try.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The way I see it, if you feel that strongly about someone taking something you put on the web, then you really shouldn't put it up on the web.

Where there is a will, there is always a way.

HTML Scramblers don't do anything big enough to be useful from theft, and those that do scramble too much and sometimes certain things won't work anymore.... not to mention cross browser.

No Right Click Scripts are useless because there is always View/Source in the browser menu anyway.

rjstephens: Interesting idea, it MAY work, I don't know. But one question lingers... if you can only view the contents when opening in the correct HTML page, how will you be able to edit it? People can just download the .pl file and open it for editing, is there a way to password protect perl files?
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is where bigweb needs to come in...
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is how my system would work:
1. the user gets a program that takes a HTML file as input, and spits out a perl file and an HTML file
2. the user then uploads them to the server
3. anyone viewing the site sees it as if it was plain html
4. anyone trying to view the source of protected.html just sees <script language="javascript" src="protected_content.js.pl">.
5. when someone visits the address of this perl script, the script doesn't output the code necesary to generate the page. it instead spits out a message such as "This javascript is hidden - you cannot view it outside of an HTML file" and could even email the details of the suspected pirate to the website owner's email address.
6. When the user wanted to change the content, they would edit the original HTML file used for input back in step 1, and then run the program again. The program would spit out a new HTML file and perl script. The user would upload these again.

The one question that stops me from making this thing is "HOW?" How does a perl script know whether it's being run from inside a html file or not?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts