Recommend a shopping cart - not too expensive

• bbw
  • Loc: North Texas

Post 3+ Months Ago

New member to the forum but have been lurking since I discovered you guys two or three weeks ago. This is my first post. I am currently into the second week of troubleshooting a shopping cart (the authors are doing the troubleshooting) that I have and it is not going well. Client is now totally fed up and wants me to find another cart in case we can't get this current problem resolved. Have done lots of research in the past for carts, but not recently so I thought I'd ask for recommendations first. We are on a unix server, and have access to secure servers for checkout purposes. I'm capable of installing these things myself, but would rather not. I'm looking for something that will allow a certain amount of customization as far as the look and layout. What else would you need to know to make a good suggestion? Let me know!
Thanks in advance
Brooke w.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• panreach
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

miva merchant
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Although, to answer the question, and stick to the "not too expensive", you might want to have a look at osCommerce.

Miva is $695 right now, that's the minimum amount you'll pay - and not every web host uses servers capable of supporting it.
  • bbw

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh sorry - should have specified: No Miva Merchant! I've worked with Merchant for years, and don't like it at all for numerous reasons. I could go on all day about them! :wink: Thanks tho!

And just fyi, the cart I'm having troubs with right now is ClickCart Pro - I have three carts from them on three different domains that work beautifully, but this one is a thorn in my side!!!

Will check out osCommerce. Thanks! Any other thoughts out there?
Brooke
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

osCommerce most DEFINETLY! It has everything and its FREE!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Agreed with Axe and Musik. If you peruse the programming board, you'll see OSCommerce has been recommended multiple times, and is quite possibly the best free open source solution provided your host supports it.i.e. php / mysql
  • djallan
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • djallan
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cubecart is simpler, with fewer features but might be enough for you. PHP/MySQL - http://www.cubecart.com

Zen-Cart is an offshoot of oscommerce & has plenty going for it - new version expected in a few days/weeks - http://www.zen-cart.com

http://www.freedirect.tk -- free TLD redirects
  • bbw

Post 3+ Months Ago

Will check these two out as well.

Keep 'em coming!
Thanks!
Brooke
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use OSCommerce, its totally free and very easy to ocnfigure, install and costamize.
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

Same as Rat. And try the Ozzu search feature next time. This has been asked before :)
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i love oscommerce and i have used dansiecart but i don't like it.
  • bbw

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the tips!

I assumed it had been asked before, and was not sure if I even should be looking for it on the HTML board - I always look first because I try to avoid annoying regulars on the board - it's embarassing.
bbw :roll:
  • SharkShark
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Living In Today

Post 3+ Months Ago

bbw wrote:
I always look first because I try to avoid annoying regulars on the board - it's embarassing.
bbw :roll:

No worries my friend and no need to be embarrased!! :D Just letting you know what to try for future reference! If we had been annoyed we wouldnt have replied. Please feel free to post any question and if has already been answered and you just didnt see it, someone will point you in the right direction :D
  • bbw

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks! And to all who replied to my request, I agree that osCommerce is indeed easy! Wow! Now to figure out those template contributions... Hoping to get Cubecart loaded and start testing tonight. Thanks again you guys!
bbw
:D
  • dprichard
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Clearwater Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use OSCommerce also. I used X-Cart before and it was fairly straight forward and pretty customizable, but their support has gone downhill. You used to receive 2 months of support when you purchased a license, but now you don't. The last license I purchased I got zero support and one of the features that they tout did not work at all (Shipping). They wanted to charge me $57.00 to fix a problem with their software. They do have forums that are kinda helpful, but nothing like the forums for OSCommerce.

OSCOMMERCE RULES!!!!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts