Redoing Wedevoy

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm about to revamp/redo/restart on wedevoy.com. This has really set me off and it isn't what I want it to be. I think I shall get a whole knew layout/design and it's going to start of as a regular portfolio at first, and grow as time progresses.

The reason for me posting this thing here is because I need ideas on design and everything else that I may need. What I have currently is obviously not working out for me :roll:

I suck at choosing colors as well: I have no clue with what kind of colors I should go with. I can do the layout easy, it's the color bit that kills me :lol:

How about this design? I made it a long time ago... don't know how it would go ... (I would probably change some colors there for my use :lol:)

Or I may go with layout 1 or layout 2 I just created... I just need to find out the colors I would use for it... Argh!
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Forget about the layout, for now.
Spend some time researching "Color Theory" first.

Once you've done that, spend some time at Colour Lovers tinkering with some palettes and paying attention to what's popular.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Kuler is pretty good with helping in the color department.

For layouts, check out Open Source Web Design. Something there may inspire you.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've being using Kuler... the problem is I don't know which color to base my site from... greyscale is becoming old :lol:

Thanks Joebert and grinch :D I really appreciate your help and would really like more :)
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://colorschemedesigner.com/

Try something bold and new and almost neon that you wouldn't have tried before. :)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for that UPSGuy...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about this design? The right-most button there at the center is the how the button would look like at a hover.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

No one? I can't move on until I feel that my design will work :lol:

Personally, I like it, but I don't know how it would sit with anyone else... I kind of need a 'popularity test' if you know what I mean :D

Maybe a few ideas or something... thanks though :) I'm currently doing some HTML & CSS tricks that I am thinking of putting into my site design...

By the way, I created a second design: link. Now I don't know which one to choose :lol:
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

For your last two designs I think it might help if you increase the contrast of the colors some. Nothing really stands out to the user. I would really recommend using that Kuler website from Adobe, I think I am going to start using that whenever I start new designs too. I do like your idea with the format of your last two designs, I just think your colors need work as other members have mentioned above.
  • natas
  • PHP Ninja
  • Proficient
  • natas
  • Loc: AFK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey bogey, I can't add anything about the layout/look better than what's been stated before me, but I did notice that your content is full of grammatical errors including words spelled incorrectly.

I'm sorry if this seems mean, but I figured you'd want to know. I'm not sure if the errors are because you are just putting filler text there for the time being or you didn't have time to proofread. I'm guessing it's the latter. If you need someone to help with editing the text, I'd be glad to do so. If not, good luck with your new site design. I'm sure it will turn out great!
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Content on which design is bad?

Also, to run the site, I may use this content management system... I'm testing it at the moment, and I like it... may have too much options, but so far, it's easy to use...
  • natas
  • PHP Ninja
  • Proficient
  • natas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
Content on which design is bad?

http://www.wedevoy.com
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is why I'm redoing the entire site... the content is bad and the design is bad...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

How about the following Designs?

Design 1
Design 2*

* = I didn't really do anything to that from my previous post about it a while back... going to do something later on.
  • natas
  • PHP Ninja
  • Proficient
  • natas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
That is why I'm redoing the entire site... the content is bad and the design is bad...

Oops, I guess I overlooked that. I will look at your 2 new designs now. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

natas wrote:
Bogey wrote:

Oops, I guess I overlooked that. I will look at your 2 new designs now. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Just give me a review on those two new designs and I'll forgive you :D
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I will go with my first design that I have made... what do you guys think of it?
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's alright, you might want to reconsider the monochromatic colour scheme, though. The glow-y part of the links seems like a bit of overkill and I'm not a fan of the square logo ... give it more colour and make it triangular or something not square.

You have a tendency to go with a layout that uses only one colour, or a couple of very similar colours. It works sometimes, but more often not. It makes text hard to read and the layout difficult to understand.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Breeze wrote:
It's alright, you might want to reconsider the monochromatic colour scheme, though. The glow-y part of the links seems like a bit of overkill and I'm not a fan of the square logo ... give it more colour and make it triangular or something not square.

You have a tendency to go with a layout that uses only one colour, or a couple of very similar colours. It works sometimes, but more often not. It makes text hard to read and the layout difficult to understand.

Alright... I'll think on what I can add... I'm horrible with colors so I tend to choose on color and play around with shades of that color... I'll try something that works :D At least that is what I want.

Thanks for the review :) :D
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

What about it now?

[EDIT:] I need help on the logo... I created that in MS Paint (Because I mainly don't know how to use Photoshop well enough to create that, so that is why that logo looks pixelated... I don't know how to fix that... could someone help me? (That is if the logo is up to your standards :lol: )

Thanks
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Site: Still feels pretty monochromatic do you have a complement color you could use? Also if you use more neutrals and then have the blue and a compliment both the blue and the compliment will pop more.

Logo: You should probably create the logo with a vector program like illustrator. What are you looking for in the logo?

What CMS are you looking at? I am a fan of wordpress, drupal, and joomla, depending on the size of the site.

Also your still welcome to this one, lol.

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go with that one Bogey, the color scheme's nice. The text area is much easier on the eyes. I like it.
  • CXLink
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: ATL-GA

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, this is just a design I based off on of his last designs the last time he updated his site.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep, I remember it, but side by side with the others proposed, this one gets my vote. Esp. if you do something nice with the menu & bar on the left.

I don't do many personal pages that necessitate a login immediately, but the page would look just fine without it until you implemented the functionality.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
Go with that one Bogey, the color scheme's nice. The text area is much easier on the eyes. I like it.

lol which one? The one I said I might use or the one CXLink suggested?
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

CXLink's recommendation
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
CXLink's recommendation

Well, that's basically my current design... just that I don't like the logo...

I guess I'll keep that and redo the basic functionality of the site... I'll probably remove the forum (for now anyway) and work on my own stuff...

@CXLink: I'm going to create my own CMS... that is my side project if you noticed my other design related thread on Ozzu... I'm creating that design for the side project :lol:

Thanks everyone for the review and help and recommendations... above all, thanks CXLink for convincing me to stop fooling around with the design :lol:
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recoded the whole template and redid some things in it... I think I like this version a bit better... what do you say?

// Removed the link (See this post)

I don't really like that logo CXLink provided on his image of my template that I could use... to tell you the truth, I don't really know what kind of image-logo I want.
  • Breeze
  • Photographer
  • Guru
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd go with a sans serif font for main content (perhaps a dark grey instead of straight black), but keep the serif typefaces for the headings ... and change the colour of the link ... just looks like the generic, default blue.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Should I have the text justified? Kind of looks like a news site.

Thanks for the font types suggestions :)

[EDIT:] That made it look more like a news site :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 50 posts