Repeated images not always loading when visited locally

• cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
I've just completed a site for a student who will display it on PC at her graduation show. She won't have access to the internet there so the site will have to be on CD or on the PC itself and accessed locally from there.

I'm having a problem with that. When viewed online, the page loads up fine, nothing missing, when accessed locally, from my machine or a CD, as opposed to online, the pages don't always load fully. Some graphics don't load. They usually appear if I do a refresh but when I access the same page again, there is no guarantee that they will show that time either. Sometimes the pages load perfectly, sometimes they don't.

The images that fail to appear are two which are used repeatedly on the page... graphic dots beside the text menu items and tiny little images which repeat to provide a shadow down one edge of the menu. At first I thought it might be because they were jpgs and all other images are gifs but changing them to gifs didn't help. I have no idea why it happens.

It's all very well me knowing that if I hit refresh, they will probably appear but the girl can't expect visitors to her grad show to know or do that and it hardly sells her work well if the pages on the site are not displaying properly.

Is there something I can do to resolve this? I can only assume it is because those images are reused over and over on the pages but I'm guessing that. If that's the reason, is there anything I can do about it? I can't really make dozens of individually named images, all otherwise exactly the same, so that no image is reused. Surely that can't be required.

Help.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm honestly not sure what the problem is, but if it's running fine from a web server (I'm guessing Apache).. Now, your friend is going to have to take a PC along regardless of how she loads her presentation right?

Why not install Apache on her machine, and see if it'll run fine that way?
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

This sounds like something that came up before related to a bug in IE SP1. I'm not sure why it would be happening only locally, but the effect only occured part of the time for me when I was using IE. You might try it in Mozilla, Netscape or Firefox and see if it happens.

The old topic on the IE SP1 issue is here:
http://www.ozzu.com/website-design-forum/internet-explorer-cant-display-blank-pixel-gif-right-t1138.html
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you using Mozilla? I've seen that bug before...
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

P.S. cerio, please include relevant information such as your browser make and model when posting. Thanks. :-)
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, should have said I tested it in Mozilla Firebird, Netscape 6 and IE 6 on a PC with Win XP Pro.

It's really bad for it on IE, it was doing it with Mozilla too but that seems to be fine now so I'm hoping that remains ok and she can use that. I don't trust it, though. I'll keep testing it there. The only change I've made since it was misbehaving on Mozilla is to change them from jpgs to gifs but I kinda doubt that made the difference.

There was no problem in loading the pages in Netscape but I find the pages do a strange little bounce when they open in the Netscape browser. When they are opened in Netscape they seem to start in one place then drop down a few pixels into place. It only lasts a moment but is very unsightly and annoying, so I didn't want her to use Netscape, even though it loaded the pages without problem.

As I said, it's fine when viewed online. I'm talking about offline, directly from the PC or from a CD. At least Mozilla seems to be handling it now. I have no idea why IE doesn't
  • Cold Canuck
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Michigan, U.S. of eh

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd make a point of clearing cache and tring again.
I've seen browsers do some truly weird things with a full cache folder.

Just an idea.

C.C.
  • FusionDesigner
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi im getting this problem also with Firefox, but online, in that even though the design is perfect some images dont load and thus leave gaps, until the page is refreshed, then it loads the missing image/s et voila. Its very annoying and doesnt do it in IE. Just Firefox version 1.01

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts