rerouting email?

• cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.
I do the website for a local club and have been asked to mask an email address so that people contact them using one email address, via an email link on the site, but it actually goes to another address entirely, so the sender does not see the email address of the contact person.
In the words of the person who asked me to do this, 'alter the contact information to the generic "enquiries@ ....", with a discrete internal re-routing to Graham's real email address".
I assume they mean that "enquiries@ ...." is not actually a real email address, though I don't really know. The aren't being very clear.

I am not sure what he means or if it is possible and I got nowhere Googling it.

Anyone got any ideas of how to do this? Is it as simple as adding some piece of html code on the page or altering the a href="mailto: bit?

The club don't have any email addresses using their domain name, they only use yahoo ones. Their web host, not chosen by me, doesn't know how to provide them with email or even provide a login for me to ftp files myself, the webhost insists I give him all files and he uploads them himself, and yes, it's a nightmare. So, if the solution requires the webhost to set up anything, it won't happen.

Any advice of how to do what they want would be appreciated.

Cerio
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.cotse.net/services-email.html

Cotse.net can handle all that at a reasonable price. They can provide email aliases as well as web hosting where you can do all your uploading. I use some of their services.
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you, Don2007, for your reply.
I was hoping for a way that did not require a third party, though I don't know if that is possible. Perhaps there is no way to just add something to the page code to do it.

If it isn't something I can just add to the code, I'll see if the club want to pay for the service you mention.

Cerio

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts