•  
    Don't make it static!

Resolution Optimization?

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I were to create a statically sized page, what resolution should I taylor the page to?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's a tough question that I wrestle with occaisionally. The computer I'm using to type this with is of the more current variety, but the one to my right is older and will not support 1024x768, so I'm stuck with 800x600. In addition I use another computer that will support 1024x768 but is only a 15 inch monitor vs the 17 inch on these two.

It used to be that I'd code all my pages statically for 800x600 to look good on a 15 inch monitor, which I suspect there are quite a few viewers still out there with that same configuration. However, when I started viewing those pages on my 17 inch at 1024x768 I was very disappointed in the wasted space...and the site just looked "small".

I recoded a clients page to be dynamic, and now no matter what screen size or resolution, it fills the page and looks good (Font sizes are another thing to take into consideration as well as graphics dimensions).

I believe I will follow that practice going forward until the "next time" things in the industry change significantly.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea I normally view at 1280x1024, while my dad computer is 1024x768 and my moms computers are 800x600. And I also forget that I have my resolution so high when I create images that I have to switch inbetween to make sure they look fine at lower resolutions. But now we have a 3 way split *grumbles*!!!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Begin Off-topic

*duh...I normally don't even look at my rank...but I just realized I became an expert!...When did that happen?

(Rhetorical --- don't answer that...I can always go check the number of posts to achieve a rank....)

Speaking of that...I think I saw a cool little mod that actually displays those on a page as well as another hack that may be of interest here.

If I get some time later, I'll find those again and post them in the suggestions.

End Off-topic
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

i recently took stats from all my sites to see what resolution was being
used to view my sites. I took stats on my sites, as well as client sites,
and came up with an astounding figure, as I was utterly surprised -

of 6000 unique visits to my sites, 90%+ were view my sites @ 1024x768

personally, I'm not designing for 800x600 ever again.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

But what about my mom!!! :-P I agree, 800 pixels just ISN'T enough these days, especially if you don't have the luxury of precent resizing. I think I will stick with just optimizing it for 1024x768, and the poor saps (like my mom) can keep using 800x600! :-D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's an interesting stat, Unflux...I hadn't thought of doing that. Thanks
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

np. i was sitting here with my mouth open when I saw that. But it makes
perfect sense really. the PC boom over the past 2 years has been for
17" monitors which is usually recommended at 1024 res. I just can't
believe it's been THAT high! :shock:

ok here, from today's updated stats on UNFLUX -
87% viewed at 1024 or higher, 13% viewed at 800x600
  • She God
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: California (Land Of The Cackling Sun)

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do 800x600 because it’s mostly habit. Although sometimes on smaller projects or “just for fun” pages, people with 800x600 can kiss my ass. I know very few people at home who run 800x 600, but at school we still are... so I’m sort of conscious about keeping it to that size. Also a few of my friends don’t really have the internet, so they use the ones at school, and I’m sure a few others do as well.

I think by next year no one will bother with 800x600, it’s just too damn small. I need to learn to edit my pages so it looks good on all res, but I think next time I redeisgn my site i'm going to make it look "ok" in 800x600, but better in a higher res.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, whatever works for you and your audience. Most people these
days, after conferring with several of my colleauges, are using 1024. so,
like I said before, I'm not gonna even bother.

I can see how seeing it all messed up would make you want to size it up
tho. I know it would bother me a lot, but I never see pages at 800
any more, not if I can help it. ;)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

The one thing I would add to this is that a day or so ago I played around with some Style absolute positioning...I worked the page for hours and at almost every res from 800 on up it was OK... (slightly off on the 800x600) but when I got to 1280 x 1024 the placement was so far off I gave up on it.)

I'll work on it later for the higher res, but so far anything I do at 1024x768 seems to do (at least) fairly well at 800x600. Just gotta be careful how ya code it.

Yah...maybe some have to scroll right or left a bit...but as Unflux pinted out in another post...what? 90% view with 1024x768? I'll check my stats tomorrow also...but that sounds realistic...I don't doubt those stats for a second.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as the resolution your visitors are using, it probably depends a good deal on the type of traffic you get too. For instance if you run a Grandma Bingo site, I am willing to bet 90% of your visitors use 800x600 and below.

I know an uncle of mine uses 800x600 because with any resolution higher than that he cannot read anything. He is also using a 21 inch monitor with that resolution!
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

the point about your audience is certainly relevant, and taking that into
consideration is extremely important. So, I'm willing to bet there's
plenty of "reverse proof" to my 90% on those bingo sites.

interesting conversation nonetheless.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts