resolution problem

• pcwizzzz
  • Born
  • Born
  • pcwizzzz
  • Loc: Romania

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everybody,

I can't figure out this: when i change the resolution to a low leverl, let's say from 1024 to 640, my webpage gets really messed. That means it doesn't display it all and there is no scrollbar, so actually the webpage gets cut. Could be the problem the frames i'm using in it? I've been looking for a solution to this but still fuzzy. Please, if you have any suggestion....
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

it could be one of a million things, without seeing the site in question, it's impossible for anybody to say.
  • pcwizzzz
  • Born
  • Born
  • pcwizzzz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check this out to see how it looks at 640 x480. What can i do? Drop out the frames stuff?
http://www.kusadasi.ro/accommodation/index.html
Thanks for help.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, yeah, the frames could be causing it, but why go as low as 640x480? 800x600 is the minimum most people design for.

I don't know anybody still using 640x480 res.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah - 640x480 is a thing of the past. As a side note, I'm getting a 404 error on your main frame:

Quote:
Pagina pe care ati incercat sa o accesati nu exista.
Daca sunteti administratorul acestui site, verificati daca hyperlink-ul catre aceasta pagina este corect.

• Kraze
  • Kraze
  • Loc: New Orleans, LA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I took a look at your code for your frames page, it appears that all is fine with it. I even took the source and made a page on my site using your frames page's html:
Code: [ Select ]
<html>
<head>
<META NAME=KEYWORDS CONTENT=" ">
<META NAME=DESCRIPTION CONTENT="Excursii si sejururi in Romania">
 <title>___Romanian Accommodation Services___</title>
</head>
<frameset name="up" rows="12%,*">
<frame name="upmenu" src="upmenu.html" noresize scrolling="no" frameborder="no">
<frameset name="down" cols="20%,*">
<frame name="leftmenu" src="leftmenu.php" noresize scrolling="no" frameborder="no">
<frame name="center" src="disp_zone.html" noresize scrolling="yes" frameborder="no">
</frameset>
</frameset>
</html>
  1. <html>
  2. <head>
  3. <META NAME=KEYWORDS CONTENT=" ">
  4. <META NAME=DESCRIPTION CONTENT="Excursii si sejururi in Romania">
  5.  <title>___Romanian Accommodation Services___</title>
  6. </head>
  7. <frameset name="up" rows="12%,*">
  8. <frame name="upmenu" src="upmenu.html" noresize scrolling="no" frameborder="no">
  9. <frameset name="down" cols="20%,*">
  10. <frame name="leftmenu" src="leftmenu.php" noresize scrolling="no" frameborder="no">
  11. <frame name="center" src="disp_zone.html" noresize scrolling="yes" frameborder="no">
  12. </frameset>
  13. </frameset>
  14. </html>

The frames page appears fine on my site even when I resize to 640.

The reason you are getting the horizontal scroll is because of the 404 page by your hosting company in your "center" frame. It's code starts off by setting a table width to a fixed 600, which is causing the added scroll at the bottom.

Your frame page source points to "disp_zone.html" and that is the page that doesn't exist and gives a 404 error like ATNO said.

On a side note, I would set the left and the top frames to a fixed pixel instead of a percentage. What I mean is take:
<frameset name="up" rows="12%,*">

and change it to something like:
<frameset name="up" rows="80,*">

and then take:
<frameset name="down" cols="20%,*">

and change it to something like:
<frameset name="down" cols="140,*">

You don't want your navigation shrinking when someone has their browser opened to a smaller size when you have both of those frames set to no scrolling.

Kris
  • pcwizzzz
  • Born
  • Born
  • pcwizzzz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you all for taking a look at my site. Yes, that 404 error is cause of missing a file, the site is still in construction, that's why i haven't even hooked it up to its domain yet. I've just read some articles about resolutions and how to develope a site linked to this issue. They were advicing people to set up their sites at 640 resolution so that to look ok on any display. Sounds like a good advice, though it's true, few people are still using that resolution but.....a well developed site sould satisfy all, so should work well on any broswer on any resolution. I've been playing with resolution and the dimension of my site and i've got the right dimension so that to be whole displayed on any resolution just that i dont really like the way it looks at 1024 this way, too small.
One the other hand, changing from % to pixels, when i used % i thought that changing the resolution the image proportion wouldn't changed but using absolute dimension like pixels, it will seriously change. That was the reason and my opinion is to change that width, which is in pixels. I'm going to try it.
About frames, i read some other articles and found some reasons for which people dont really use them anymore. Meanwhile i've also found the way to avoid them, which is php menu.
Thanks again and if you have any suggestion or advice for me, it's wellcomed. I'm still digging to find the best way for getting a well build site:).
Sorry for talking so much, hope i wont bore you there.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts