Rss Feed Not Validating And Showing as Webpage

• altom55
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • altom55
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have trouble validating 2 of my feeds as they show up as a webpage
I cant post the link for you to look up.
They validate ok in validator.w3 - but not in
feedvalidator dot org/
I have asked elsewhere, but still cannot find an answer to this problem
Hope someone can help me with this
kind regards Alana
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

it validates as valid XML on validator.w3. However, RSS feeds have an additional standard for which to comply with. This is why your RSS feed does not validate as an RSS feed, but does validate as an xml document. The syntax of your XML is accurate, but there is an issue regarding your RSS document's compliance with the RSS specification. Can't tell you what the RSS validation problem is without viewing the feed itself. This is as much information I can give based on what you have provided.
  • altom55
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • altom55

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your reply mindfullsilence but I still dont understand, here are the feeds that show as webpages in feedvalidator dot org

www dot tablelampsforlivingroom dot co/rss/pod-table-lamps-guide.xml
www dot tablelampsforlivingroom dot co/rss/table-lamps.xml
  • Hob Bramble
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Indiana, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

mindfullsilence wrote:
it validates as valid XML on validator.w3. However, RSS feeds have an additional standard for which to comply with...

Hang on there - assuming he's using the W3C Feed Validator at: http://validator.w3.org/feed/ - then he should be fine, as that validator check specifically for RSS and ATOM feeds, not just XML.

altom55: I won't worry about what FeedValidator.org says about your feeds "looking like webpages" - I checked both of your feeds and not only do they validate fine at the W3C's validator (as you say), but, much more importantly, they operate perfectly well as feeds (i.e. I was able to subscribe without any issues and they load up/look perfectly fine).

I checked your feeds out at FeedValidator.org myself to see why you're getting the "looks like a website" message, and noticed something you may have overlooked: for some reason, FeedValidator is NOT looking at your feed at all, but is loading a website and reading it instead (look at the "source" section on FeedValdator.org's results page for one of your feeds - http://feedvalidator.org/check.cgi?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tablelampsforlivingroom.co%2Frss%2Fpod-table-lamps-guide.xml - it isn't showing the feed at all). So there isn't anything actually wrong with your feed, but rather something your with either a) FeedValidator.org or b) your server (serving FeedValidator the wrong page - I doubt this one because the W3C validator ran your feed just fine).

It is worth noting, also, that FeedValidator.org last updated in 2007, while W3C last updated their RSS/ATOM validator in 2010, so it's quite a bit more up-to-date and, as such, probably more reliable.

Sort version: your feeds are fine, altom55 - nothing to worry about at all.
  • altom55
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • altom55

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for taking the time to check out my feeds for me Hob Bramble.
Im sure there is something wrong at FeedValidator dot org.

The page that it leads to is where I bought the domain name - Web Fusion 123UK Reg. I do not know why it leads there as I have contacted them and they said it's nothing to do with them.

I use FeedForAll to construct all my feeds and never had a problem. FeedForAll have a validator in the software that always gives a positive validation result.

One of the feeds is a podcast and validates in itunes so it must be valid
Thanks again - Al.......
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hob Bramble wrote:
Hang on there - assuming he's using the W3C Feed Validator at: http://validator.w3.org/feed/ - then he should be fine, as that validator check specifically for RSS and ATOM feeds, not just XML.

Holy crap I didn't even know that existed! Thanks for the resource Hob :P

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts