RSS - how to add to website

• cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.
I'm sure the answer is already here on Ozzu somewhere but I can't find it.

I want to try adding an rss feed to my website, to notify people each time I add new items to the site (I sell vintage Japanese kimonos and such). I assume it would give them links to the pages showing each item. People return to my website to see what new stuff I have added but, currently, they have to browse through the site to find them and I'd like to give them the opportunity to know of and find new items via an rss feed instead of having to think to visit the sight and look around to see if there is anything new there.

I only add a few items at a time to the site and can manually add links to those pages on an rss feed each time I add stuff, I assume. It doesn't have to be some automated system of doing it if I can just do it manually. Is this possible?

How do I add an rss feed to my website, create updated feeds etc.? I know nothing, so would have to have it all explained step by step; what files I create, what code goes where, where I put those files, how to show rss button the site, etc. I can fiddle with html a bit but not with php or anything.

I keep finding partial information when I search but nothing that takes me from knowing nothing to having it all set up and working on my website.

I'd appreciate an explanation in detail, if that is possible.

Cerio
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I have the RSS feed worked out now and in place. It works fine in Firefox and in IE but in Google Chrome, with its 3, inefficent, faffy options for finding a feed, it doesn't work.

When it comes to Google Chrome, its problematical. One option they give for finding and subscribing to a feed on a website does show a list of items on the feed, if you open the xml file in the browser then detect the feed directly from that; It lists the items on the feed but then the subscribe to feed link doesn't work.

The other two ways that Chrome suggests you use, just say they can't find a feed, even though the rss.xml file was open in the browser. I don't understand why Chrome does not have a simple, straighforward way of subscribing to feeds by just clicking the RSS button when both Firefox and IE have.

If anyone knows a good solution the the Chrome thing, please let me know.

Cerio
  • Sogo7

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Cerio,

You did not mention what your website was called so I did some looking on the web.

Problem appears to stem from badly written XML as far as I can tell, try creating a feed using Yahoo Pipes and see if problem persits in chrome browser.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts