• zian
  • Student
  • Student
  • zian
  • Loc: Toowoomba, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi everyone,
just a quick question.....
I was wondering if it is possible for a browser to tell what resolution it is being viewed in and display scrollbars in certain resolutions and hide them in others...??

thanks
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can do it with javascript but this is something that happens automagically. Take the ozzu window and reduce the width down to <800(ish) pixcels. For people with 640x480 the screen will have a horizontal scrollbar, for those with a sensible screen it would not.....

I'm not saying don't do it, but I cannot see why this would be neccessary.
  • zian
  • Student
  • Student
  • zian

Post 3+ Months Ago

hhhmmm ok, coz I created this website and I didn't want scrollbars so I turned them off, and now the page can't be viewed properly in 800x600 resolution....
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well the scroll bars should not appear on the screen at the larger res. Is there a link you can give
  • zian
  • Student
  • Student
  • zian

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah

http://www.veracitysystems.com/promim
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: NC, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zian...simply put if you use %'s instead of hard coding values for the width's you will come up with a page that will look good across vairous assortments of resolutions. Once you get the page to look good form 800x600 to 1152x864(or however high you go) you can turn scrolling off in the frameset...and I think you will have accomplished your goal.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't like percentages for fluid layouts, but thats just me.

TBH I can't see why the scroll bars need to be turned off. If you leave them on then @1024x768 or greater they shouldn't appear. Also, if you don't turn them off, someone using text-zoom will lose the bottom of the page! I don't thnik it is a good idea to turn off scrollbars completely.

Can you show us what happens if you leave it as default settings?
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

"fluid layouts"? not sure what that means

i agree on the scrollbars...leave 'em on...if you get the page looking right across resolutions...it shouldn't be a problem...that was a naive post previously (or a tired one)
  • dprichard
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Clearwater Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I like the fluid pages personally. It takes a little more work to do upfront, but I like the way they flow with the browser. Another option would be to build a page for screens with lower resolutions and redirect them based on their screen resolution.
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

PS: Contractor is spelled wrong in your underline

1st sentence 2nd paragraph

PSS: Still unclear about "fluid pages"
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

s15199d, A fluid layout is one that resizes to fill the window, because fluid resizes to fill it's container.

PS. It's "PPS", not "PSS" :D
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok well then I have a question...if you don't use %'s to have a page resize itself...how do <u>you</u> go about it?

I know you're a big CSS guy...<u>but</u>
surely you don't absolute position everything and then make the value of the absolute position variable based on resolution....surely that's not how you do it...i'm intrigued...

PS: "fluid" is a fancy name for it, but I got you never heard the term b/4

PSS: I like pss better...sure it's wrong...but hey I got wild streak I'll live on the wild side on this one :twisted:
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

s15199d wrote:
ok well then I have a question...if you don't use %'s to have a page resize itself...how do <u>you</u> go about it?

I know you're a big CSS guy...<u>but</u>
surely you don't absolute position everything and then make the value of the absolute position variable based on resolution....surely that's not how you do it...i'm intrigued...

Well I like any navigational / flanking columns to be fixed width and then the content to be fluid. I don't know why but I really have a problem with the flanking columns shrinking. As for how I would achieve it, check out http://www.glish.com/css/7.asp although I would vary this depending on the circumstances.

Quote:
PS: "fluid" is a fancy name for it, but I got you never heard the term b/4

Yes it is a fancy term, but I have never heard a different term that is as succinct. "Layouts that resize to the same width as the browser window" doesn't seem roll of the tip of your tongue :lol:

TBH it is the only term I have ever heard for it.

Quote:
PSS: I like pss better...sure it's wrong...but hey I got wild streak I'll live on the wild side on this one :twisted:

:lol:
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please never turn off scrollbars. You cut out so much of your audience when you do that.
  • zian
  • Student
  • Student
  • zian

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, i've changed the site so that it shows scroll bars, but now it shows them even in 1024x768 resolution, and i don't want them to show there.... :(
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

can you post your code?
  • zian
  • Student
  • Student
  • zian

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah

Code: [ Select ]
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title>ProMIM</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
</head>

<frameset rows="*" cols="290,*" framespacing="0" frameborder="no" border="0">
 <frame src="frames2/leftMenu.htm" name="leftFrame" scrolling="YES" resize>
 <frameset rows="80,*" cols="*" framespacing="0" frameborder="no" border="0">
  <frame src="frames2/newTop.htm" name="topFrame" scrolling="YES" resize >
  <frame src="frames2/newMainFrame.htm" name="mainFrame" scrolling="YES" resize>
 </frameset>
</frameset>
<noframes><body>

</body></noframes>
</html>
  1. <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
  2. <html>
  3. <head>
  4. <title>ProMIM</title>
  5. <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
  6. </head>
  7. <frameset rows="*" cols="290,*" framespacing="0" frameborder="no" border="0">
  8.  <frame src="frames2/leftMenu.htm" name="leftFrame" scrolling="YES" resize>
  9.  <frameset rows="80,*" cols="*" framespacing="0" frameborder="no" border="0">
  10.   <frame src="frames2/newTop.htm" name="topFrame" scrolling="YES" resize >
  11.   <frame src="frames2/newMainFrame.htm" name="mainFrame" scrolling="YES" resize>
  12.  </frameset>
  13. </frameset>
  14. <noframes><body>
  15. </body></noframes>
  16. </html>

This is the code for the "holder" page which holds the frames together...
  • s15199d
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

i did this b/4 too...you want scrolling to = "auto" not yes

once you do that...as long as your page isn't larger than the resolution...it won't add the scrolls...and if it is larger the scrolls will be added accordingly
  • zian
  • Student
  • Student
  • zian

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey thanks so much!! :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts